flossy-p home

Sunday, August 21, 2005

the return of all things delicious

Earlier this year Momo hung up her blogging gloves, retiring from a 3 year run. It was around the same time that my friend Lacey-T moved to Adelaide, and felt like all my friends were leaving. But now Momo is back! It may be a new address, but it’s the same lipstick loving vixen we’ve all come to love. (If you haven’t come to love her yet, you still can, just by clicking on this tiny link.)

I was thinking of her just last week, the very day before I found out she was back. On Tuesday I got to go out to Sony Music and had a bit of a tour while I was there. It was the first time I’d ever been there and the first time I’d been to a big printing press. It was like being on a school excursion. This reminded of a post Momo wrote ages ago about missing the joy of the humble school excursion. I left a comment which was a tad long for your average comment, perfectly encompassing; “give ‘em an inch and they’ll take a mile”. (In the days before I had a blog of my own…)


An excursion to an ice cream factory in year 2 should have been a highlight of my schooling years. Yes, ice cream factory!

We clambered into little hygienic shower caps and coats, and trundled through the huge clear plastic flappy doors after the tour guide. He showed no where near as much excitement as someone who works in the motherland of ice cream should, and whisked us through the factory leaving no time to savour any of the deliciousness.

Being the lagger that I am, I lingered behind the rest of the group to marvel at one of the huge vats of vanilla flavoured creamy goodness. And that's when things went all “Willy Wonker”. Just as my tour group was about to disappear out of site I intended to sneakily sprint back to the back of the pack, cleverly unnoticed. But not so cleverly; I was stuck! Living in a hot climate I had never known about the sticking power of freezing cold surfaces. My little shoes were stuck tight to the ground. I tugged and twisted to get myself free, tried jumping and the odd high kick, but I was well and truly frozen to the floor.

Panic set in! (but being a quiet mouse-like kid I did it silently).
The tears began to well as my group disappeared from sight through another set of flappy doors, and I imagined the scarey Oompa Loompas closing in at any moment. I ended up taking my shoes off, skipping around in my socks (so I wouldn't get stuck again), and used all the strength I could muster to tear my shoes from the floor. In the process the rubber soles ripped from my shoes staying stuck tight. I popped my soleless shoes back on and dashed for the last known sighting of the group.

My little rubber soles are probably still fossilized in the icy floors of that ice cream factory. But at least I learnt the easy way to never lick the inside of the freezer.



Luckily this episode caused no lasting trauma, and I still LOVE ice cream.

No comments: