This was my opportunity (no, my duty) to help this girl through teenage-ness. It’s a total gamble making a CD for someone you don’t know. I had no idea with any of my CDs if what I was sending was going to be their kind of sound. But I decided to start with the bands that were my favourites.
A Matter of Survival (for jenny)O stella- PJ Harvey: I first discovered PJ on late night video clips, dancing around in a giant ugly pair of baggy white undies in 50 Foot Queenie. Damn she is one of the most individual women I can think of.
Berlin Chair - You Am I: You Am I are an Australian band. When I turned 18 they were the first band I went to see.
Buy Me A Pony – Spiderbait: Another Australian band who have been rocking on since I was a teenager, and still are.
Paco Doesn't Love Me - The Spazzys: The Spazzys are also Australian. A new group of young punky chicks. I love this song. I makes me want to dance like a muppet. Although unfortunately just this morning I saw their new clip, (a remake of My Boyfriend’s Back). The clip was one of those “o-so-original” party on a city rooftop jobs, with them playing to a crowd of people dancing with arms in the air. I’m sorry to say it was pretty lame. Hopefully they’ll come back with something cool to make up for it.
Dimension - Wolfmother: Wolfmother have been around for about 18 months. A Sydney based band who were hyped pretty highly after only making an ep of 4 songs. They are just amazing live, so if you get a chance, see them. They are currently in America making their first full length CD.
Sonic Youth - Titanium Expose: Sonic Youth were important and really cool, and I felt it my duty to pass them on to Jenny.
Where Is My Mind? – Pixies: The Pixies are one of my favourite bands. They didn’t last long, but what they left us was amazing. When I hear their songs they make me happy.
Born Again - Badly Drawn Boy: This Manchester lad is so cocky, but talented.
Driver - Eskimo Joe: From the west coast of Australia, they are nice guys, and his voice has that sexy breaking point.
Mascara- Killing Heidi: This song came out about 5 years ago (maybe), a group (with brother and sister) from rural Australia, who were discovered by a radio station.
Special Ones – George: Another Australian group with brother and sister. The brother was annoying, but the sister was gorgeous.
All Coming Back - Sarah Blasko: Sarah Blasko has only just released her debut album. Australian again, with a good accent.
The Pixies - Wave of Mutilation: This song is from the Pump Up The Volume soundtrack. I saw that movie at the cinema when I was about 15. I was the perfect age for this movie, and the soundtrack changed me forever.
Cross Bones Style - Cat Power: Cat Power is an odd little thing, if you get to see her live, count yourself lucky. Both because she’s great, and because half the time she’s too timid to come out on stage. (or she sits on stage with the lights off sitting on a stool facing the back of the stage).
I Don't Need a Hero - Concrete Blonde: Concrete Blond were a pivotal band for me. I love love love her voice.
Papa Won't Leave You, Henry - Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds: Okay, so if there was any band that got me through my teen years, these guys were it. They are still amazing, and still going strong. Unfortunately and purely coincidently, every single time my mum came into my bedroom “the Carny” was playing. She acused me of only ever listening to “funeral music”.
Concrete Blonde - Everybody Knows: Again from the Pump Up The Volume Soundtrack.
Never Get Old - Sinéad O´Connor: Love her or hate her (she’s a little bit unstable shall we say). I am obsessed with Sinead O’Connor. There, I’ve said it! Anyway, it was a gamble, but I thought it was worth sharing her.
The CD I made to send to people in America is a mix of stuff I’m listening to now, stuff I’ve been listening to over the past few years and lots of local stuff. I’m curious to know if any of the Australian stuff has made it that far yet. Let me know…
Transmittance one (for Vanessa, Kristi and Ryan)Like Eating Glass - Bloc Party
Obstacle 1 – Interpol
Neighborhood #2 (Laika) - The Arcade Fire
Adam's Ribs - You Am I (Australian)
Paco Doesn't Love Me - The Spazzys (Australian)
Buy Me A Pony – Spiderbait (Australian)
Something's Gotta Give - John Butler Trio (Australian - John Butler is actually from California, but he lives here now, and his band are from here. So we’ve claimed him.)
Some Cities - Doves
Light Pollution - Bright Eyes
Don't U Eva - Sarah Blasko (Australian)
Wake Up - Eskimo Joe (Australian)
Woman – Wolfmother (Australian – This song is a bit tongue in cheek, and makes me laugh.)
Cause A Rockslide - Badly Drawn Boy
No Dancing - Smog
Reno Dakota - The Magnetic Fields
Paper Thin Walls - Modest Mouse
This Life - Martha Wainwright
All for Believing - Missy Higgins (Australian)
I Know Y'Know I Know - Tex Perkins (Australian)
I'm Going To Stop Pretending That I Didn't Break Your Heart – Eels
I also had a fellow Australian on my list, so his CD was a customised version of the US version, but I took out the local music as he’s already heard it all, and replaced it with other stuff to make his very own mix.
Transmittance two (for Luke)Like Eating Glass - Bloc Party
Obstacle 1- Interpol
Neighborhood #2 (Laika) - The Arcade Fire
He War - Cat Power
You Make Me Feel Uncomfortable - Dios Malos
The World At Large - Modest Mouse
Reno Dakota - The Magnetic Fields
Cause A Rockslide - Badly Drawn Boy
Going Fetal - Eels
No Dancing - Smog
Paper Thin Walls - Modest Mouse
Pink Bullets - The Shins
Sunshine - Sparklehorse
This Life - Martha Wainwright
Jed's Other Poem (Beautiful Ground) - Grandaddy
The Gash - The Flaming Lips
Godless - The Dandy Warhols
10 A.M. Automatic - The Black Keys
Dimension - Wolfmother
Hope they liked 'em.










9 comments:
your cd is great.
i read the note and thought wow she's cool then i ran downstairs to get it in my (new spiffy) ipod (its now up to 1800 songs), and then stuck it (the cd) in the kitchen cd player so that i could dance to the spazzys and pixies and pj harvey while making miso soup... then i went to sleep listening to eskimo joe and concrete blonde and s. blasko and cat power and s. o'connor in the dark and... it's just really cool. soo... thank you.
i just finished reading a book that included sonic youth in it, that kind of spoke to me too. (called cinderella's big score: women of the punk and indie underground)
your cd definitely got me through the last few days...
...where is my mind? o-oh. where is my mind?
i'm going to name my future child paco.
:D That's awsome. I'm so glad you like it. I actually read your post about it the other day, but my reply comment did something odd, and never made it online. So I'm glad you tracked me down.
When your firstborn 'paco' is naughty, you can always pull out the song as psycho guilt-trip. hehehe - just joking, that's clearly not very good parenting.
you have wicked taste in music. i could not resist signing up for the next swap. mix cds are such a great addiction!
I got my CD from you on Saturday, and let me say ... it's great! Out of all the CDs I have received from this "CD SWAP 2", so far yours is the only one (during listening to it) which I haven't asked myself, 'What the hell is that?' when some odd song comes on.
Sounds funny, but that's a compliment ... and I am currently on an Eels kick where I have amassed pretty much EVERYTHING done by Mr. E except for the latest single ... so for you to throw an Eels track on there was FABULOUS.
I'm so stuck in my ways, I still best enjoy listening to the mix CD I made for the swap that I sent to everyone else ... but you are a very close second place (no offense to anyone else ... there's still a CD or two I'm trying to "get into"...)
Thanks! It actually pretty scarey making CDs for folk you don't know. But I'm glad they were received well. (Kristi is the only one I haven't heard from yet. I hope she got it okay).
I wasn't going to do the next CD Swap, I only got 2 from this CD Swap, so i'm felling a bit down. Hopefully they are still on the way (and not by sea mail, as that takes 3-4 months).
But if you guys (or anyone else out there) are keen to swap, I'd be happy to do some more for you.
oh. I haven't heard from Luke either.
that's a great list...I ran into Wayne Coyne of The Flaming Lips the other day...he lives in Oklahoma City you know. I have a lot of friends who know him, but we aren't close or anything. They have a great documentary that just came out called Fearless Freaks that you should definately see.
Hey Flossy! I got the CD today (I was on vacation and only today got to the PO). Yours was the first of the four I put in the player today. I wrote about it on my Culture Catalog blog as it is much more on topic at that blog than the knitting blog :-)
I'm loving and thinking the other CDs might not measure up :-)
I'd like to send you the one I made as I think there would be at least some tracks you would like as some of your tracks reminded me of artists I included on my CD. Are you interested?
Absolutely!!! I'll come find you on your blog and send you my address. Thanks!
Post a Comment