Minus 5 is a bar in Sydney that is minus 5 degrees inside and is made entirely of ice. A complete gimmick, and considering we came in out of a hot sunny Summer afternoon it was quite the novelty. We were clad in regulation Eskimo style get-up, complete with ugg boots, 2 layers of gloves (which proved tricky to wield a camera), and a giant fluffy hooded coat. We all looked so cute, if I do say so myself. I was thrilled to be in a Sydney bar without feeling like a cheap try-hard, (never able to be as glam as those real women out there in those fancy shoes and slinky dresses). It’s my kind of place where you can wear sensible comfy woolly lined slippers.Elle and Kilkenny have been living in Dublin for the past 2 years, so they know the cold. Mica and Dale have been in Belgium in Winter, so they know the cold. Mr You and I have never been anywhere really cold, so I was worried that we might die, but it actually wasn’t too bad. Mr You was thrilled to be living out a Star Wars Planet Hoth fantasy, and I went nuts attempting to take squillions of photos before the camera battery froze.
A little bit amazing with everything made of ice; walls, bar, seats, decorations and even the glasses you drink from. We got vodka cocktails in the ice goblets which didn’t freeze due to the high concentration of alcohol, but Mr You’s juice on the other hand, proved a challenge. Also a little bit tacky though, with ice sculptures of a koala, opera house, harbour bridge, etc. Oh, AND the creepy Bambi-skins on the seats!
If we go again I’ll make sure it is dark first. It was a bit weird being there during daylight, sun pouring through the windows onto the ice furniture. With people walking by outside in sandals and singlets, no doubt seeing us through the window and thinking we were North Alaskan tourists too afraid of the sunlight to leave the hotel room.
More photo’s on my flickr, or others from around the world.










No comments:
Post a Comment