
I’ve written about it before, but I would challenge anyone not to adore spending time at Mr You’s parents house. Surrounded by a continuous veranda under a bull nose iron awning, standing proudly at the end of a track perched on the edge of the river. The river is very wide where they are, and it’s close to the ocean so the water is tidal. Surrounded by sugar cane fields and the ponds of a prawn farm, the views from every aspect offer something new and beautiful.
The river laps at the edge of their front garden, bright birds roost in the trees, and green tree frogs sing out in chorus in the evenings.
Yep, it’s pretty hard to take.
I watched a cane fire burn on the far side of the river one night. One day Mr You's dad took us on a little boat trip down a beautiful quiet channel that comes off the main river. We ended up tying the boat up on a jetty at an old pub where we stopped for lunch and a cold beer.

Our visit coincided with the local arts festival so we spent lots of time in town watching performers and live music, and we took Mr You’s nephews to the parade night. We spent lots of time playing with the kids and cuddling the babies, there seems to be so many of them now; all the nephews and one niece.

I dreamily circled houses for sale in the local paper and wondered if I could cope living so far away from a city. …and as wonderful as this all sounds, you know, I’m still not sure I could cope. Yet. For the time being I’ll cross my fingers and hope Mr You’s parents never ever move house.
The journey home via the main highway wasn’t anywhere near as pretty as on the way there. We stopped overnight to break up the long road trip and got home last night, a bit exhausted from all the driving. Anyway, that’s it, now I’m back into it… my mountain of projects and tasks.










5 comments:
Sounds beautiful there, welcome back and glad you had a great time! Its nice to have a wonderful place to escape to..this way you get both urban and rural!
I would have loved to see a photo of Mr. You's parent's home... but your descriptions have helped me create a lovely picture in my mind. Wow.
Great pics! And I'm with you, I think I need to be near a city. :-)
i love experiencing new places through other people's travels and photos (and such beautiful photos!!)!! so glad you had a lovely trip! i hope i make it there someday - looks like a dream come true!
I love the bush headed people. that's just too funny.
Post a Comment