flossy-p home

Tuesday, March 24, 2009

homemaking

House Stitch Reframe

A little while ago I picked up this little stitched house for $1 at the op-shop! I gave his frame a revamp, and now he looks all bright and fresh again. He's inspired me to create a "home" themed picture cluster on one of our walls. A good way to get more involved in one of my new years resolutions (to redecorate parts of our house to make it reflect "us" more). I keep intending to re-cover all our cushions, but keep having more pressing tasks push their way to the head of the queue instead. Hopefully I'll fulfill this resolution at some point... at least before the year is up. :)

In other parts of the house...

Fruit PlatterA few weeks ago we were invited to our new friends' house for a BBQ. We were each asked to bring some food, I was assigned the fruit platter. I can't tell you how relieved I was about this. I'm sure you'll all recall my discomfort with the kitchen, but adding to that one of our new friends is a chef! We now have 3 friends who's partners are either chefs or hard-core foodies.

There's been many a time we've enjoyed some amazing feast, far beyond our normal world of pasta and stir-fries. And while those feasts are some of the best moments in living memory, the downside is the guilt and shame I have that I can in no way return the favour. Often getting so embarrassed about my kitchenly shortcomings, that when we invite them around for a meal, we usually chicken-out and get take-away instead.

Anyway, this time I was asked to bring a fruit platter, and finally I felt in my element with food, ending up with something I was proud of. Much like my maths tutoring, anything I can trick myself into thinking is an art exercise usually works out quite well. In this instance of catering, I didn't even think about the food, just the colours and textures. 'Catering by Colour' I call it, and should I ever venture that way in the future, this shall be the name of my business ;)

While this method doesn't always turn out so well (see the spaghetti and rice incident of 2006), I've discovered thankfully you can't go too wrong with fruit.

10 comments:

Allison said...

i love your thrifted find! perfect. (i love playing house too!)

Kate Moore said...

The tapestry looks great now. And that fruit platter - yummo.

Anonymous said...

The house tapesty looks so good with a red frame - inspiring actually!

Hila said...

oh believe me, no one is as bad as me when it comes to cooking! I agree, can't go wrong with fruit ... or can you? :)

Cathy {tinniegirl} said...

The fruit platter looks a sensation.

By the way, I have some fail safe recipes that I swear by if you want a couple of dishes that are sure to impress and that won't scare you into a corner.

That tapestry looks gorgeous too with it's new frame.

Bec said...

Wow, that fruit platter is truly a work of art. Almost too good to eat!!! And what an inspired idea to paint that tapestry frame. Looks sensational :)

Chrisy said...

The colour you've painted that frame makes such a difference...so clever...and Catering by Colour..well if that platter is anything to go by it's a great idea!

Anna Lloyd said...

The fruit looks very tasty and inviting! And the frame looks much better in red.

Cath @ chunkychooky said...

xx I recognise that delicious fruit platter , people are often intimidated by cooking for a chef, but seriously he isn't fussy- after all he eats my cooking and he is just so stoked not to have to cook for once.

Anastasia said...

the tapestry is so much brigher now - sweet!!
yummy fresh fruit - i'd eat more of it if was presented to me like this!