flossy-p home

Wednesday, March 25, 2009

weddingy wednesday 5

The Dress: (eeek! I know)

We had a powerhouse of a week; booking vendors left right and centre! There are still a few crucial things to book (i.e. a celebrant!) but now things are being ticked off, I can finally start thinking "pretty". HEEEEEEE!

Don't even pretend this isn't the one you've all been waiting for: the dress. ;)

Call me lackadaisical if you will, but it still feels a little early to me, to be thinking about the dress just yet. But in exactly 3 weeks, I'm off to Sydney for almost all of April, and intend to use the time wisely, shopping for a dress or fabric (if the dress plan fails), and shoes. So, I need to pull myself into gear and start thinking about what I might like.

I've been asking every married woman I know how on earth they chose their dress. It seems like the options are endless to me, and I had no idea where to start. Some of them admitted to having a dress picture kept from years back that they'd always dreamed of. Some suggested looking through my wardrobe to see what my style is, and go from there. Others told how they didn't know until they started trying things on.

In the meantime I've been researching...

Originally I was thinking COLOUR:

Dress, Colours_Orange
(Source: Jason Frank Rothenberg Photography, Not noted, From Etsy)

Maybe something soft?

Dress, Colours_Pastels
(Source: Rose and Ruby, Trinny and Suzanna, Rosa Clara)

Maybe something bright?

Dress, Colours_Brights
(Source: Michelle Williams, J Crew, Anthropologie, Burda Style Patterns)

Lacy vintage?

Dress, Colours_50s
(Source: Maria Pinto, Not noted, Jenny Lee)


Or even classic black?

Dress, Colours_Black
(Source: From Etsy, Not noted, Rose and Ruby)

I remember one of my friends in the lead up to her wedding. Originally she was NOT going to do anything "bridey": not wear white, not carry flowers, etc. But then as she got deeper into the planning she told me how something mysterious came over her, and the longer she went on the more "brideness" crept its way in. She ended up wearing a white 60's mod-style dress with white knee high boots, carrying a flower AND wearing a diamond tiara in her hair! Of course she looked gorgeous... now I can't imagine her wearing anything but that!

With her words ringing true in my ears, I'm finding myself drawn more and more by the mysterious magnetism. I've decided I'd like to wear white. :)

But you'll have to wait till next week for that installment. :)

14 comments:

Cindy said...

Oh I love LOVE LOVE the lacy vintage. All so gorgeous.

Renee said...

So excited. I liked all and everything except the idea of black.

Yippeee Sarah. So eciting.

Love Renee xoxo

Amy Badskirt said...

So many choices. I was initially overwhelmed. I started with the idea of colour and fell in love with this brand: http://www.culture-shock.com.au/

I'm pretty sure it had a different name back then. I really like their splashes of red. You should see all of their galleries. But then one day, I was trolling ebay for a dress and there it was... my dream one. I just knew and you'll know too!

CurlyPops said...

I can't wait to see what you decide on. One of my sisters wore black, and the other wore a silvery grey instead for their weddings.
I love vintage style dresses for weddings.

Cath @ chunkychooky said...

I love the ruby and rose dress - love it!!! need it in my wardobe- i would get so much use out of it living where i do. perhaps I can swan down to IGA in it. But I think the one I could see Flossy wearing is the red with the big flower- that dress - or the not noted one underneath... they are all really nice. How exciting!

Monique said...

Soft, white, vintage lace. A splash of colour in your hands. You will know the dress flossy as soon as you lay your eyes on it. You will know its the one to marry your man in.

Kate Moore said...

They're all lovely and I know you'll have that perfect dress in your hands soon.

Anonymous said...

Red colour dress perhaps? Red colour means happy and luck.

Liesl said...

Oh, yipee ... I'm glad you're up to the dress bit. I like the frock eye-candy you have selected. Gorgeous things. When Mr HB and I tied the knot, I wore orange which was fun. But really, you can wear colours all the time ... how often do you really have license to go town with white? A white wedding dress will be beautiful.

Anastasia said...

i love lace!!
i love lacey white dresses...everything you've shown here is adorable! cant wait to hear more! exciting!

Meg said...

Here is what I am going with. http://www.flickr.com/photos/wai-ching/2641601696/, but satin not brocade.

Geek+Nerd said...

Oooh, great inspiration photos! Good luck finding the dress! I'm sure you'll be gorgeous.

P.S. Mine was totally inspired by Audrey Hepburn's dress in Funny Face: http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_DsBVSCAeQdo/SK4FHwQrPyI/AAAAAAAAAFs/nE4dcxYUq9E/s400/406889446_c963c6ea42.jpg

Granted, I was not as willowy, but it worked :)

Regina said...

Yes, there is always that mysterious magnetism for all things bridey.

I found my dress by simply trying things on. I had a picture that I had kept for several years, but my dress looked nothing like that picture. I love the ideas you've posted. I know you will be stunning with whatever dress you chose!

Victoria said...

I love the "soft" dresses. Will be very interested to see what you eventually end up choosing.