After having listened to the Summer Jams 2k5 CD from Jen about 5 times already, I've come to some conclusions: I really like it, and it does achieve a very Summery feel very well. After listening to it I regretted toning my CD down though, (i thought it'd be a bit too heavy for people - pfff, what was I thinking?). Mr You will say "I told you so".
Anyhow, there are some bands I've heard of on here, some I've never really listened to, and there are also lots of newbies for me.
Of the one's I've never heard, I really like:
Holland, 1945 by Neutral Milk Hotel
Twin cinema by The New Pornographers
Monkey by Low
I've heard so many people mention Iron & Wine, mutterings about town and such, so I'm glad to own a track of theirs now. Maybe I'll seem like I'm "in the know" next time.
Oh, how the lyrics in "Leave the biker by Fountains of Wayne" did make me laugh so: "crumbs in his beard from the seafood special". It reminds me a little bit of Butterfingers, an Australian band with cheeky lyrics - "Your Mama's on the top of my things to do list" for example.
The vocals on the Moping Swans track reminds me alot of another Australian band Youth Group (touring your United States at the moment).
My very favourite song on the CD is "99 and a half won't do by The Detroit Cobras". It makes me wanna skip out on work, jump in the back of a ute with a guitar and a faithful dog (niether of which I have), and drive up the coast to a happy care-free life, with this playing magically in the air as my theme song (like an ad on tv).
But having said that my absolute even more bestest most favourite is "Oualahila ar tesninam by Tinariwen": Like a modern version of the Bollywood track on the Ghost World soundtrack. Makes me wanna spin jump and twirl all Bollywood style around the house!
Hooray for such a happy fun Summer CD! Thanks again Jen (I'm honoured to be one of the lucky 26 finalists).
(I've been without our digital camera this week, so if you want to see the very slick cover click here.)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)










1 comment:
wow i'm so glad you liked it that much!
if there's stuff you like or more stuff you want to hear email me. i can send some discs with files and files of mp3's.
i can make you a happy camper!
Post a Comment