flossy-p home

Friday, March 20, 2009

redressing the balance

I realised there's not much been going on in this space apart from wedding talk these days, despite my little whinge on Wednesday complaining about that very imbalance. So I've shown up here today to attempt to redress this balance, and start catching up on all the "real life" stuff that's been going on.

Some of you may recall a call out for help a while ago, when I was trying to decide which digital SLR to buy. I finally decided on the Nikon D80, only to discover when I rang to buy it, that it had been discontinued the day before! It took me another 2 weeks to decide I could part with enough money to get myself a Nikon D90 with an 18-200 lens. I got out my credit card, racked up the new debt and began the wait 'til it arrived, only it never did...

Nikon's prices went up across the board in March. I got my order in before then, but Nikon chose that exact time to do a country wide stocktake, meaning no new stock was being distributed from them to any retailers at the time. I waited and waited, for weeks (with a wedding I have to shoot fast approaching). Because I got my order in before the prices went up I was suppose to get the gear at the lower price, BUT, when it finally came through the prices had risen. I could get the camera body at the old price, but the lens had increased. Not by alot overall, compared to what I was paying anyway, but it was enough to tip my cash balance, and have me withdraw my order and jump ship to Canon.

I've had Nikon gear for a long time, and lots of it. So the brand switch is a big deal for me. But I can tell you I was just as happy when this baby arrived last Friday!

450D_18-200mm

I'm now the proud owner of a new Canon 450D. (oops, just realised the pic is the wrong model, oh, you get the idea).
The switch saved me money, time and stress. I bought it over the phone, and it arrived on my doorstep less than 24hrs later!

We're still getting acquainted. There are SO many buttons I have to learn; I'm not in the land of film anymore. I haven't gotten to the chapter of the manual about getting the photo's out of the camera onto the computer yet, but when I do, I'm sure you'll notice ;)

In the meantime I'll be polishing up all my film gear ready for Ebay. I still love it all dearly, but since I moved away from the city, I just can't get my favourite films, or trust the printing anymore, making film photography very very difficult to maintain. Sigh.

But... a new era awaits!

I'm a bit cited!

6 comments:

CurlyPops said...

Congratulations!
I hope you have a lovely weekend playing with your new canon.

Monique said...

Very very exciting indeed. Enjoy playing!

Cathy {tinniegirl} said...

I AM GREEN WITH ENVY!

.girl ferment. said...

mm i am the same with film in small towns.
processing is rare and inconsistent, and i cannot invest the time and money at the moment into going to private darkroom sessions to process it myself as i used to.

hope you enjoy your digi.

Rayne said...

I can't believe you had so many issues with the Nikon. I am also in the middle of trying to decide on a new digital. My old one is wearing out and it's time to trade up and I have been wavering between Canon, Nikon and Pentax. I am thinking I will just scratch Nikon off the list.
Can't wait to see your first pics with your new baby.

Cat said...

Glad to hear you went Canon. I love my Canon EOS!
I look forward to seeing all the pix that come from the new camera in your life.