flossy-p home

Tuesday, March 07, 2006

blame the blue on portugal

Portugal 01
If you've ever been to Portugal I'm sure you'll understand why I've become so "drawn to" blue painted stuff. I've never before been to a place filled with so much pattern and colour. It's vivid, and I was enchanted.

Houses are covered on the outside with tiles, footpaths are mosaiced with different motifs, and buildings are cloaked in hand painted murals called azulejos. Even humble homes not covered in tiles have a modest mural on the front of their house, like a painting hung outside for all the neighbours to see.

Certain eras have popped all over the cities, leaving behind the architecture of their day with Baroque and Art Deco buildings that proudly remain, squeezing out any continuity of time. Many left to decay revealing layers of colour and texture that only add to the visual richness. It's a sensory saturation. One that I've not been able to shake, hence my fondness for the blue.

Click Click - Snap out of it! I told you I was enchanted, sorry for the fluff. I'll stop now. Maybe you should just look for yourself. More photo's on my flickr.
(Please note some are photo's of photo's so they're a bit dodgy).

No comments: