flossy-p home

Thursday, March 09, 2006

woollybug

Insect
My Illustration Friday attempt for "insect".

Look closely. Insects are usually hard to spot initially even though they are often bright. When I think of insects I think of defying gravity and legs, lots of them (even though technically there should only be 6). The yellow striped footy-sock legs on my insect are inspired by a bug I saw this week that had very cool yellow stripy antennae.

This one didn't turn out as well as I'd hoped. He looked better before I added the woolly body when he was all just legs. Oh well.

7 comments:

Kim de Young said...

i like this, he/she seems to be very comfortable with the long legs, i like the wallpaper background, i imagine it being fuzzy too

Anonymous said...

This is very interesting.

Susan Mitchell said...

I love this! Very unusual.

Dana S. Whitney said...

Creativity is a process... and sometimes we just don't like what we did as much as other times. I would NEVER have thought of doing anything remotely like this... so, hat's off to you!!

CRISTOSOVA said...

I have to admit this one looks like a spider to me. We have one in Germany that has legs as long as that, though not yellow, it´s called the cobble boy (but we don´t know why). I am sure you have spiders in Australia that could look as eeeeeek! fostering as that one!

flossy-p said...

My Cobble Boy (I love that name) was inspired by a spider, but I pulled 2 legs off so he would make it into the "insect" theme, and not be ostracized for being an arachnid.

Anonymous said...

i love him.. he can live with me :)