flossy-p home

Sunday, July 16, 2006

head band wagon

Head bands
There are quite a few people out there making headbands at the moment, so this weekend I jumped on the bandwagon; the headband wagon that is. (As you can see it's still all about dots as far as I'm concerned, but stripes are good too!) In my incarnations of the humble headband, I've done away with the tie at the back because I always end up tying my hair up with it, causing myself pain and frustration. The ties have been replaced with a little elastic, mmmm custom built. Can't wait to wear them!

I know you're all wondering, yes my sewing machine is working superbly now after it had a service. So far I'm not regretting spending the shocking $85 at all. It's running so perfectly, smoothly and quietly, so quietly in fact that I'm convinced I could combine sewing and simultaneous cat burglary crimes without raising suspicion.

It's been a joy sewing today, relaxing, productive and very satisfying. So much so that I unpicked the parts of the Pink Trees Bag I made earlier and made some adjustments.

Pink Tree Bag version 2

I adjused the size of the lining as it was a bit too baggy, then attached a button and elastic loop, and sewed it all back together. I also fixed the colour of the stitching along the top of the burgundy side. It was pink before and I didn't like it, but now it's burgundy too, and looks much better.

Pink Tree Bag version 2 detail

I made the button using one of those self cover button kits, it was easy and I love it! The button matches the lining, adds visual interest and serves as a functional closing device. Ahh buttons, so clever.

Now, the exciting news is that I finally got started on Shoofly's bag. We postponed our swap as she was on holiday and I had lost custody of my sewing machine for a while. But we've set a posting date now, so things are up and rolling once again.
I had been stuck for ideas, I wanted to do a sewn illustration for her and sew it into the bag, I wanted it to be something to do with Lebanon (where she's just been holidaying. Luckily she's safely home again now, hope her friends and family are too). Then I was thinking botanical, and windows and all sorts of stuff. The more I thought the less close I got to starting. I was trying too hard and putting myself off in the process. But now, it's all happening. I've steered away from all that stuff now, I have another idea, I'm keeping it simpler and have made a good start. I can't say too much about it because it's a surprise, but let me tell you, in my opinion, I think it's going to turn out to be the prettiest bag I've made so far. It's got me grinning.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your headbands are great..I'm partial to the red and white striped one myself although I love all of your fabric choices. Oh, and thank you for my birthday well wishes, it was a great day!

Danielle said...

Yaaaaaaaay headbands! They're so gorgeous.

I need some :).

Sally said...

Oh, I love your little hand bag! The blue and maroon is the perfect colour combo - and the pretty button finishes it off just so. Is this your own pattern? I just think it is so darn cute :)