flossy-p home

Wednesday, July 26, 2006

opposites

Opposites
My Illustration Friday attempt for "opposites".

Oh Lordy, what is this? What was I thinking?!!! 'Opposites' should have been easy right? I don't know what happened, I just resorted to thinking... well ballons and fish? They're opposite right? How about a fish and a brick? No, bricks aren't very exciting to draw... a fish and a typewriter? And that was it. It's kinda dumb, I know. Sorry.

I logged my illo under "medium: watercolour", "illustration style: other" because, well, what the hell is this?

49 comments:

Amy Zaleski said...

Yeah, sometimes it's hard to categorize your style. I love how weird this is. You really went for it. Amazing colors here and I like the old-timey typewriter. Isn't it baffling that a whole generation doesn't even know what a typewriter is? Also, this reminds me of a Gloria Steinem quote: "A woman needs a man like a fish needs a bicycle." .....er, or typewriter!

Jaimie said...

I love this! It's so clever and strange and pretty. Who would have thought to combine a fish and a typewriter. great job, great imagination!

° said...

love the paper turning into a fish in the typewriter must be a whopper od a story. great imagination and colors

neilornstein said...

I am not entirely sure of just how fish are the opposite of typewriters but I do like the drawing.
Wish I'd thought of that. Glad you did.
Regards, neil

Tiger Mouse said...

I like the craziness of it. I agree with Neil - wish I'd come up with that - I found the topic very difficult.This is kinda like Salvador Dali or something.

Anonymous said...

I LIKE the way you think. Your illustration is beautiful. I think a lot of us had trouble with the topic. Guess opposite is not so cut-and-dry. This is definately surreal like writers type fish and artists paint... typewriters writing fish.

Tamsin said...

What a brilliant idea! lovely drawing. Fish and typewriters must be opposite, well they're not the same, and anyway, paper is usually dry and fish are usually wet, so...

Cez said...

wow...beautiful....and great idea..love your work

CRISTOSOVA said...

I wanted to say first that perhaps it is the opposite of reality - but now I believe it makes a great metaphor for what writing is about: you type away and whatever comes out has a life on it´s own. (Infact, even escapes you!) You can never be sure of the things that emerge, not in writing, not in illustration :) Now we just need to know what kind of a symbol the fish stands for...

Anonymous said...

wow ...beautiful work!

Christine Lim said...

Hey Flossy! Your painting reflects your subconciousness. I love it. Your watercolour is always beautiful. :)

rachel stoleru haim said...

it doesn't really matter what's the exact opposite of fish, as long as the work is so wonderfull as yours. i think it's absolutely breathtaking.

Joy Eliz said...

Not dumb at all!!! It's innovative and thought provoking. If you hadn't said anything I would have thought it was one of those intellectual art pieces that I was too ingnorant to understand- ha,ha:)

Love it!!!

Angela Matteson said...

Sometimes it doesn't matter if the illustration is an exact representation of the topic. What's wonderful is when one word can inspire your creativity to go in directions you never dreamed of. Your beautiful work is a perfect example of that this week. I love it!!

Sally said...

I love the way you are thinking! Balloon fish and typewriters? I do agree they are quite opposite. I'm glad you allowed your creative process to take you here - I love the illustration. So beautiful - Well done!

rania said...

that looks so cool! i love it!

joze22 said...

wow!
its awesome!
extraordinary!
im speechless!
wow!

Susan Mitchell said...

Luverly! You always have such clever ideas, strange yes, but so beautiful :)

Danielle said...

Such skilled work; I am so inspired when I see your illustrations [and not a little embarrassed that you have seen mine :/].

There's a kind of dark humour in there that's really funny. Typewriters and fish... oh yes.

AscenderRisesAbove said...

Applause!

Anonymous said...

Ha ha! I love it! Positively brilliant!

lil kim said...

ok, it's weird, but it's great. maybe the typewriter is writing a story about fish dreams. do fish dream? i don't know, but if they did it would look like this (that's a compliment :-)

luisa brehm said...

great style !!!
from a typewriter fishes fly .....
i like it !!!
thanks for passing by ;-)))
luisa

carla said...

I think it's so exciting when images just happen...and they work! I always love your style and the subjects you choose. They're always quirky and intelligent and beautifully executed. This one pushes that description even further. I think it's wonderful. Funny...like Amy, the Gloria Steinem quote, "A woman needs a man like a fish needs a bicycle" came to mind. Excellent piece!

Franfou said...

wow thats cool ! very nice job !

faeorain said...

Very beautiful! I like how the fish goes from flat to being full of life!

Anonymous said...

absolutely amazing! this would look wonderful in print.

murphy girl said...

no need to categorize (so restricting, i choose 'other' every week), and this is beautiful! the colors are so cozy, and there is a sense of time gone by mixed with a dream! congrats on your image making the front page!

rania said...

awesome! congrats on the illo-friday-pick o-the-week, flossy!

Amy Zaleski said...

Congrats on being the pick of the week!

Catalina said...

love it! very "imaginative"

MjM said...

Congratulations on Pick-o-the-Week!

Beautiful work.

MjM

Unknown said...

WOW!! Love the surreal quality!! Beautiful!

luisa brehm said...

i'm sooo happy ;-)))
congratulations !!!!!

Queen Tut said...

Just beautiful! wonderful depth in crestion and imagination!

Anonymous said...

I love this! the fish are beautiful.

Anonymous said...

This is a beautiful, surreal piece. Sometimes weird is good! Congratulations! Thought you might like some of these illustrations, yours reminded me of his work: http://www.taeeunyoo.com/index.htm

Stacia said...

So imaginative! It's exquisite! (and I don't say "exquisite" very often). Love it!

Anonymous said...

YAY! You get to be illustration of the week! Congrats!
I love this illo! It reminds me of Japan and Dr Suess all at the same time! Too cool!

Kim Carney said...

positively delightful!

Anonymous said...

wow - I don't get it either but it looks great! love the commentary too. And I found another australian blogger. great to meet you. well done on being illustration of the week.

Regiana Queiroz said...

F A N T A S T I C ! ! !

Jessica Wong said...

Your illustration is fantastic though I don't quite get the fish-typewriter thingy :) Anyhow, congrats on being the Pick-of-the-Week!

Ellen said...

You are a genius! I wish I could be half as talented! Really!! I think this is impeccable! No wonder it was chosen to be spotlighted! Bravo!!!

Maria Eugenia said...

it's very beautiful! Congratulations!

Anonymous said...

Hi! I'm not quite sure I get it, but wow! You seriously have talent and style! I LOVE it!
Tara

Anonymous said...

Lovely illustration. It must be a fish story.

Carol

justjohanna said...

pick of the week! hooray, you!

Linda said...

quality illo, congrats to you!