flossy-p home

Saturday, July 01, 2006

lack and abundance

Buttons
Nothing much to report really. Feeling much less fowl about the jacket incident thanks to your understanding comments.
Haven't had a chance to make anything, although I did finally get my sewing machine out of protective custody.

This week for some reason I bought 3 different bags of buttons. I have no idea what I'm planning on using them for. I think it's related to the severe case I have of 'Jack of all' that Creative Kismet described. Symptoms include stockpiling craft goods and fabrics, unfinished and even more unstarted projects clogging up space, and a mind fat with ideas accompanied by a lingering feeling of frustration.

At these times, instead of getting stuck-in and doing stuff I spend hours lusting about other people's wonderfulness.

A highly abbreviated list of those who's illustrations are bringing me joy at the moment (illo's only, don't get me started on sewing or craft):

BlogLinksMutt Ink who's illo's are cleverly pumped with a yummy plumpness.

Girl Vs World's elegant, patterned ladies. Great etsy store too.

Troglodyte mignon with amazing watercolour skill and quirky interesting characters, who each seem endearingly flawed.

Mareike Engelke, who, no matter which medium is chosen, manages to keep a consistent style.

Allison Sommers with odd folk, floating hands and a vintage hue.

5 comments:

Regina said...

"Jack of all"- You said it perfectly!!! Well, At least I know I'm not the only one! Thanks for the link too :)

Those buttons are way cool. I just made a bracelet out of some shell buttons that I have. Now that I have the button bracelet out of my system, I'm going to go stare at the unfinished sewing items on my table- hmmmph!!

isay said...

lovely buttons! you are very good in making beautiful bags - you can make a design out of them.

best regards!

CRISTOSOVA said...

I have a fascination for little things. I like the buttons just the way they are, that way they fuel imagination.

I so agree about all your listed links. They make me feel humble. I think I go now and reinvent myself :)

Christine Lim said...

Flossy! Thanks for taking your time to answer my doubts about scanners. You saved me lots of trouble. I am using my husband's Samsung 5-in-1 Fax-Scanner. That explains why I cannot scan watercolour painting. It scans B&W sketch quite well though. I have a Umax (popular among designers) for my Mac but the top bit (for scanning slide and film) is broken and no one is servicing the brand anymore (damn). Anyway, I may check your recommendation out. Afterall, Xmas is not too far from now! ;)

Talking about stockpiling and spending endless hours lusting others' wonderfulness ... I do that just as often. Excuse? Hmmm ... hoping to get inspired!

Anonymous said...

hi. thank you for those nice words. you made my day really bright. :)