flossy-p home

Wednesday, July 12, 2006

skyline

Skyline
My Illustration Friday attempt for "skyline".

The suburb I live in is not in the city centre full of apartment blocks, and long before the sprawling suburbs. It's inbetween I guess; where the streets become a little quieter and the scenery more green than concrete, but where you can still spend the afternoon in a cafe and get to the city centre in a jiffy.

You'd never guess that the skyline of tree silhouettes and red tile roofs would be interrupted by a flour mill.

It's completely unexpected and quite beautiful really. It's still operational, and I guess it must have been there a long before land and house prices in the area soared. Not sure how long it will last in the ever expanding sprawl, but for the time being it adds an impressive shape to our skyline.

21 comments:

stephanie said...

I like the line work on the wires for the phone polls. I love how it looks like the mill is growing out of the tress. Great color pallet & reflection on life.

° said...

reminds me or the old flour mill in tempe AZ on mill st north from the university. nice work

Jessica Wong said...

What a pity. Very nice illustration though, can see the amount of details required to complete such a piece!

carla said...

I really like the detail of the architecture and the power lines. The thick trees in silhouette make a great contrast to the more defined areas. I love the paper you used - it looks like a paper bag. The roughness and little flecks add nice texture.

Sally said...

What a beautiful illustration. I am drawn to the texture and the warm colour pallette. Isn't it always a treat to find unexpected beauty in our back yards?

Well done!

ps. I really like your blog! Good stuff :)

Allison said...

breathtaking! wow! a little different than your normal illo-friday-style and i love love love it! you amaze me flossy!

claudine hellmuth said...

wonderful illo!!

Susan Mitchell said...

Love the colour palette, looks like you did it on brown paper, which gives it a lovely warmth. Beautiful image :)

Edric Hsu said...

Your "Skyline" is very striking in it's colour and details. Makes me wanna go for a closer look! :D

Queen Tut said...

Great sketch!

Geninne said...

I love the industrial look to this illo, it's beautiful.

Unknown said...

beautiful drawing!

Anonymous said...

Beautiful! I love how you make such a seemingly drab image so lively and vibrant. Gorgeous illo. =)

Fernanda Guedes said...

Beautiful details, colors and, of course, skyline.

CRISTOSOVA said...

It does look impressive, my, your drawing, and the mill itself. I love old industrial buildings. They give you a sense of another period of time - and of endurance, stability.

Stacia said...

Great image! The light areas really stand out making it seem shiny and brilliant. The paper choice really adds as a background - reminds me of whole wheat bread! Cheers!

Willie Baronet said...

Wonderful drawing, and I like the composition of the trees.

Anonymous said...

This is beautiful and luminescent! I'm jealous! What a great quality of light.

Angela Matteson said...

Love the coloring, and your linework. The contrast sets it off very nicely.

Sort of reminds me of my suburb which is a mix of the historic and the new.

rania said...

really interesting...i love the contrast in this piece, especially the darkness of the trees, and the surface you're working on.

Dana S. Whitney said...

You've shown the beauty and rhythm and reasons to LOOK at this part of the scene. I like it a lot.