flossy-p home

Sunday, September 28, 2008

show off time

Katie from May the Cloth be with You has chosen the This Is topic this week, and for me it's super well timed as I have some new treasures I'm dying to show off!

This is: show off time.

I went right ahead and spoilt myself yesterday, check out my new loot!!!!
Mexican Goodies

That's a handmade and painted mug, a tin mirror (to go above our bed), and a tiny turtle, who's shell lifts off so you can keep your rings inside him.

These goodies are all handmade in Mexico. While the Americans among you this may not seem so amazing, for us Australians let me tell you it IS. Mexico to me is so far off, and so exotic, and a complete fantasy. I would LOVE to go there one day. Finding real Mexican things here is not at all common, and in fact I have a friend from San Francisco who outright refuses to eat Mexican food here because he says it's far from how it's suppose to be.

I'm not sure if all this contributes to my fondness for all that is Mexican, but either way, when I stumbled into a tiny shop filled with things collected by the owner from overseas (mainly central america and Haiti) I was smitten. I had to go have a coffee and freshly baked scones over the road while I decided how I was going to spend my pocket-money. I would have bought 90% of the stuff in that shop if I could have, but what I came away with makes me very happy.

So where did I find all this stuff you ask? Well imagine a bustling marketplace in Mexico, THEN imagine the exact opposite of that...

Ulmarra

This is where I found it. A very tiny, very country, riverside village (on the way back from visiting Mr You's brand new baby nephew in hospital), with a big old pub, a cafe, an art gallery, an antique shop and my new favourite place "THE shop". Now all I have to do is keep myself away before I adopt a poker-machine like addiction to the colours in that little shop and send myself well and truly broke. (I suspect I paid a hell of a lot more than I would have if I was actually in a bustling marketplace in Mexico, ahhh nevermind).



Kat Coyle sometimes reveals lovely Mexican things from her house, and when she shares pics of here Mum's house I very nearly froth at the mouth!

15 comments:

CurlyPops said...

They're so beautiful...I adore the gorgeous bright colours. Looking at those in my house would make me very happy indeed.

Lexi:: PottyMouthMama said...

Oooooh these are gorgeous..! I would imagine they would make me super happy seeing those bright colours and designs everyday!

kat coyle said...

Thanks for mentioning my blog! Your new treasures are wonderful, and that tiny, country store looks really interesting. I should photograph the new stuff we got recently. I'll put it up on flickr (for your to froth at) :).

Lindsay said...

Oh how BEAUTIFUL!!! I loooove the coffee mug. What a pretty mug to get your senses going in the morning with your cup of hot coffee.

Regina said...

I wish I could take you to Mexico. We live so close. You would love it. We haven't been there in a while, but we used to go get big bottles of real vanilla for $5 then we'd get other little trinkets and blankets and such. So much fun. I'm having a little fiesta tonight with some friends and margaritas. Wish you could come :)

You friend is right about the Mexican food. The farther away you get, the worse it is :)

Allison said...

you do know i'm only a couple of hours away from MEXICO. we are after all, New Mexico. come visit flossy! i'll make you tamales!

Kate Moore said...

Man, I'd be taking Regina and Love Squalor up on their offers. Margaritas and Tamales. Go NOW!

Jenny said...

OOOOLovely!

Anastasia said...

so bright and colourful...happy pieces!!
id love to visit Mexico oneday too...especially for the food!

Megan.K. said...

Hi there flossy! Thanks for visiting my neck of the woods :) Loving your blog - and your work... you're a bit talented aren't you?
also... the turtle is especially cute I feel.

Geek+Nerd said...

I love the tin mirror. I've always been a bit smitten with tin mirrors.

It's funny - I completely understand how people from the southwest border states would find Mexican items and food commonplace. But if you live in the northeast, like I do, I assure you - this American finds Mexico very exotic! Hahaha - it's over 2,000 miles away.

When I went to California for my honeymoon, it was the first time that I had visited the west coast, I found that it was like being in an entirely different country. It's one of my dreams to take some time visiting each state in our union :)

Anonymous said...

Such beautiful and bright colours. We should surround ourselves in glorious designs and patterns... that they rub off their excitement on us lol. I want to go to Mexico too but alas... I shall have to keep the idea in my dreams. xox Nicole

Emerald Arts said...

Turtles rock ;) I have a bobbing head tortise on the top of my computer moniter.

But it's not just turtles that rock, you do too, most awesomely. I got your cards and things in the mail today. Won't write too much more about it because I wrote you a letter back, but THANKYOU SO MUCH!!!!

Melanie Gray Augustin said...

Such gorgeous colours! Great finds you lucky girl. Good luck not going back and spending too much money in the store. I know I'd have trouble.

Hila said...

these definitely deserve showing off :)