
It started with a stroll up and down King St, Newtown. Followed by chai tea, laksa, a funk band that night, which we blew off for a MUCH cooler rockabilly gig (with people dressed up in the full 50's get-up, and rock and roll dancing and everything!). And that was all on the first night after a 7.5hr drive! I feinted you know? Yup, on the very first night I had a feinting spell. I'd only had one beer... The only thing I can put it down to is pure over-stimulation.
The rest of the trip was filled with:
- visits with our favourite children, who proudly showed off their new fairy costumes, computer game scores, dance skills, and drawing abilities
- visits with friends who have moved into new houses (including my sister sparkle)
- meeting up with friends at markets
- catching the ferry to Cockatoo Island to see the Sydney Biennale... with friends
- going to friends places for dinner, and having friends over for dinner
- meeting up with friends for lunch
- having great conversations with friends who pushed aside their busy schedules to spend time with us
- drinking coffee with friends in the park...
...Are you picking up any kind of theme here? Yes, this rip was ALL about friends!
But, it was also about the food, let's not forget the food:
- Laksa
- Gozleme
- A very fancy modern Asian lunch at Longrain shouted by the wonderful woman I work with. (can't say I've ever started the week with champagne before)
- Gooooood sushi
- Home cooked roast, risotto, and chicken thingy. Plus a home cooked breakfast from friends
- Very fancy expensive Japanese restaurant dinner shouted by Mr You's clients
- Best felafel in Sydney
- Yum Cha
- And finished it all off with Greek
Then of course there was shopping, actual shopping at the beginning of the week, which turned into restrained window shopping towards the end of the week. There were clothes, more clothes, fabric, things for my desk, and a trip to IKEA. There was one dress I tried on twice over the week. I LOVED it, but knew I'd never wear it back in this wee town, so instead I took a photo of myself trying it on in the change room, hehehehe!
Thrown in there was a bit of work, a few meetings, music, a new haircut, catching a movie, lots of laughing and of course a few tears at the end there. Plus a warm, understanding, supportive, "I'm not letting you go" BFF hug when emotions ran high.
As I mentioned, I had a brilliant time though! Brilliant!
The last couple of months especially have been really hard, being here with no friends, so far away from my friends and family, trying really hard to find a niche for me to feel part-of, unsuccessfully, with all that loneliness. This trip came at a really good time. But boy it was hard leaving... and coming back here.
As beautiful as is it here, it's definitely a trade-off. I haven't really mentioned the struggle much, instead I've been reveling in my painting and keeping myself busy (hmmm, I must keep a watch on that habit).
Maybe I'll talk about it more from now on... maybe.
Anyway, getting back to the funliness of the past week. With all that I could see, and taste, and touch, and smell, and hear, I loved it.
There were many highlights, but one of them that will linger was seeing Persepolis. A friend and I saw the French speaking version. Have you seen it yet? I can recommend it highly. I loved loved loved it.

And there I shall end this post; there on that love-love-love note. No better place to end.
.










11 comments:
Hey Flossy! Thanks for all of the comment love :) It looks like your trip was amazing. I'm sorry that you've been having a rough time adjusting so far away from home. I think that I would be like that too if I lived that far from my family. We're very close. On the bright side of things, you have been really productive and done some beautiful work, especially this new series with the flowers and birds from your surroundings. Who knows if that would have happened if you didn't move?! Life is funny like that sometimes.
Secondly, Persepolis. Oh my goodness, it *just* came out on DVD in the United States and we rented it right away. I loved it...so gorgeous. I love that they did all of the animation by hand. I think that digital would've ruined it. Have you read the books? They're superb, I highly recommend them!
sounds like a FAB time...now pls share where you got the best felafels...i usually make my own! Persepolis got great reviews...i want to see it too!
I know the feeling you have going back to visit friends- Sometimes I feel like the distance makes everyting (sights, sounds, tastes and friends)so much sweeter when I finally DO get there.
But maybe that is just me.
Ooh! I also watched Persepolis for the first time about three nights ago. It was fantastic, I was blown away by the animation and story.
Glad to hear your trip was a great success! Sounds like you couldn't have had a better time.
i am almost too hungry to comment. all that delicious food! secondary, of course, to the friends - and i could use both right now, food and friends. what a perfect trip.
big hugs to you blog friend. i have been in this "new" place for two years, and it is only now starting to finally fit together. still, i have the grayest days sometimes, missing people. moving is difficult and i don't think it ever gets easier to be away from people and places you love, but i feel certain that new places and new people can eventually feel like home. fingers crossed.
persepolis the book is really fabulous as well! as is embroideries, another of satrapi's books - i laughed so much.
Oh dear, you sound like you've been sooooo strong. Where did you move to? Excuse my ignorance, but I feel like I've just tuned in. 7.5 hours away. Not another city then? I hope a change of season brings some nice new things and ways of seeing your new place.
ahh, what a post :)
Oh, your trip sounds awesome. Hope the beginning of Spring is helping to lift your spirits :)
Through all of these beautiful photos, rich and joyful descriptions absolutely bubbling over with happiness, as I was carried along with you on these memories...do you know what jumped out at me and slapped me in the head? IKEA!!!! You went to an IKEA store! Dear lord! Why have I never been so blessed as to walk the aisles of an IKEA store?
Seriously, it sounds like such a wonderful and fantastic trip!
Where's the photo of you in the dress? I want to see it!
I feel like a spinning top with string about to be pulled into a frenzy. Weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!
That was an excellent post Flossy... I am going to mark it for next time I need a quick lift me up. Where is the photo of the dress? lol I wanna see it.
xox Nicole
I tried to comment last night but my email was on the fritz. It's hard moving away from a place you love - but I bet it was nice to have that week to enjoy all the best bits..
Hope you're feeling better in your part of the world.
xxx
Post a Comment