flossy-p home

Wednesday, October 29, 2008

birdlife

Earlier this year whilst staying with a friend, she mentioned how we both love birds.
"Do I?" I asked, never having considered myself a bird lover before (but knowing that she is).
"Yes, they're in all your art, and all around your house"

And it wasn't until that visit that I realised this.

Birds In My House

I wouldn't call myself a bird lover (after all I am allergic to canaries). I don't know the names of birds and I can't tell who's call is who's. But once she mentioned it, I noticed that they are all around me (inside and out). I do put them in lots of my illustrations...

And I think it was this simple comment that lead me to taking more notice of birds. I researched the birds I see around here, and put them into the works for the Affirmations exhibition. And do you know what? Now I can actually name a few of the birds round these parts. I can even tell you a little bit about their habits and behaviours.

Funny how you don't know something about yourself until someone else points it out!

6 comments:

Cathy {tinniegirl} said...

It's so funny that you have posted this today. I have just realised in the last few days that I often have birds in my artwork too, and that I really love them.

paintandink said...

It wasn't until my brother gave me a photograph of a bridge that I realized I have a good amount of artwork with bridges.

I think there is something deeply symbolic about both bridges and birds.

Renee said...

I love this little post and I love the peek in the house. I love the fabric birds hanging, they are so cute.

Can you email me your mailing address at home again, as Christmas cards will be coming out soon.

Love Renee

Jenny Bean said...

I used to always say that I hated anything with hearts or the colour pink. Then I realized how much I put hearts and pink in my artwork and the rest of my life! I've changed my mind about them now and embrace pink (and hearts)- in moderation of course. :0)

Kate Moore said...

Yeap. I think your friend was on to something.

Anastasia said...

there you go! your a feather friend! i love birds too but they scare me as well....