flossy-p home

Monday, October 13, 2008

a sense of place

Last night I finally finished reading Cloudstreet. It was beautiful. And I'll need a week of mind space to mull it all over before I start reading something new.

I've heard Tim Winton criticized for the way he ends his stories, but honestly I am always left with admiration and great satisfaction at the end. And so far, also a warmth.

Some of my favourite lines:

A house should be a home, a privilege, not a possession....
I reckon they belong to the place...


Such a lovely concept, that you belong to a place, it doesn't belong to you.


I recently met a lovely gal who lives in Byron Bay (about 2 hrs north of here). She is originally from Vancouver, Canada. When I asked how she ended up here she replied that she never felt like Canada was her place, but when she found Byron Bay, she felt that feeling, and felt more like herself than she ever had before. A discovery of sorts, of place, and self. Connected.

That's got to be a pretty amazing feeling, hey?

11 comments:

Megan.K. said...

Hi - love love Cloudstreet... beautiful, sad, Tim Winton's best I think.
Wow, your Canadian friend summed up exactly how I feel about Byron too! A sense of belonging to this place - yes yes!! I followed the feeling and packed up my whole life in Sydney to move here - over 12 years ago now - and never ever regretted it. It has gifted me with two babies, my wonderful man and the deepest connection to spirit I have ever experienced before. Some places are special. Thank you so much for this post...

CurlyPops said...

I have that book but I still haven't read it...about time I opened it I think. Thanks for the inspiration.

Erin said...

it is an amazing feeling. There are moments in life i feel that way that sometimes are in relation to other places, other people around me, and once in a great while, just how i feel about myself.

Rayne said...

I am still yearning for that feeling. I so want to find 'home'. The line from the book is thought provoking and rings true. I like it.

Katrina Jackson said...

That does have to be pretty amazing. Guess I know what I will be reading next. :)

Kate Moore said...

I've read Cloudstreet a couple of times and have it as a book on CD - useful for the HSC student who studied it last year. I think I may have also studied it at uni. I love Oriel's character, and Dolly, and that image of these two women nearing their sunset years and who have kind of resolved themselves and their differences and learned to live with themselves and their differences. It would be a good book for a book club, wouldn't it?
I have always felt a sense of place. Some places I have felt a very strong sense of place and then outgrown that place. I have also grown into places. I am not sure what comes first, but I feel it's the place.

Anonymous said...

I don't feel like I am 'home' just yet... but am happy enough until I find 'the place'. I love Byron Bay.. we try to go there at least once every year. It is about 4-5 hours drive south from here. We stayed at Ballina last time.. at the wonderful tent park on the beach.. and had an excellent time. You can day trip to some wonderful coastal towns from there, including Byron, which is about 20 minutes away.
I also love a small town called Coolum, which is where we went this past weekend, and is also on the beach. My heart beats ever so loudly whenever I am in this town.
xox Nicole

Cathy {tinniegirl} said...

It's one of my very favourite books followed closely by Dirt Street. Don't read The Riders though - I think that's the one that most people are unsure about. So different to his usual magical stories.

lil kim said...

Hey flossy - just catching up on everything after my surprise trip o/s - my you have been a busy blogging bee!

Thanks for your comment, and glad you saw my post, I was going to email you to say a personal thank you - they are so incredibly beautiful. And because I feel I've gotten my karma's worth for now, I'll let someone else win your other beautiful giveaway (though I love that flower brooch!)

Cloudstreet is beautiful isn't it? I remember loving the ending (but yes bigcat, being totally left hanging after The Riders) - I haven't read his new one yet, must get my hands on it.

Oh, and the next time I'm up in Coffs (I have been there before, once) I'll make sure to drop in. Google Maps pegs it at 16 hours, 34 mins. No worries!

Hila said...

oh I so agree with you - that line gives me the shivers.

Sally said...

That's a great quote. Perhaps I'll pick up a book by Tim Winton sometime. I haven't read anything of his.
I think we are going through a period of feeling disconnect with the area we are living right now. I wonder if maybe we should try Australia too :)