flossy-p home

Friday, June 20, 2008

beating art-school out of me

After being invited earlier in the year, this week I got confirmation from Susan to be part of another exhibition at artstream this Sept-Oct. I’m ecstatic about it! Now begins the “switch myself into art mode” stage, after battling with my computer ALL week long on a complicated print job for a client. I’m really looking forward to getting away from the screen for a while. Last night I set up a little table in the lounge room so I can work at night in the heated room, in front of the TV.

I sat there with a sketchbook and pencil, sat there, and sat there, pencil poised, waiting for the “art mode” to kick in, "c'mon art mode!". I’m hoping that now I’ve sent my “job” off, and enjoyed an afternoon walk along the beach and over the headland to flush the work out of me, I’ll be clear and refreshed to get stuck in tonight.

The funny thing is I had a spontaneous art day on Sunday. I hadn’t planned it, I didn’t do any preliminary sketches, I had no ideas, and I didn’t plan a colour scheme, I just sat and painted, and drew and painted some more. It all came flowing out freely, as only unplanned work can. And I liked the results.

When I do an illustration I put so much time into thinking about a concept that means something, sketching compositions and details, and planning colours, that the whole thing takes days, sometimes weeks. So this spontaneous art day got me thinking… which ironically has taken me back to square one; thinking. I just want to try and feel it, and let it appear before me.

I guess the urge to plan and think it all through comes from a compulsion to want the work to be good. To keep control of it, keep a consistency, so it all turns out the way it’s supposed to. Somewhere in me the idea of planning means proper, worthy work… not planning means frivolous playing. But what’s so wrong with that? Perhaps then my first challenge isn’t limited to sitting in a heated room… maybe it’s beating the art-school out of me... just having a bit of faith and letting go.

10 comments:

Geek+Nerd said...

I've been feeling that way about choreography lately...Same thing, I'll plan to go into the studio, turn on the music and wait. I end up staring at the walls! Some of my best choreography has come to me while dancing in a 3 foot square empty space in my living room, usually at some un-godly hour of the night!

Oh - and how exciting that you're doing something else at Artstream!

Jenny Bean said...

That's a great way to put it.
Sometimes, during a 'spontaneous art day' I feel like someone else is guiding my hand. When i look back (with pride) at my accomplishments, occasionally, I can't believe/remember doing the work!!
is that a little crazy?? Perhaps a right brain/left brain thing?
So glad you are getting to the heart of matters- even though your work is brilliant, wether it's planned or not.
jen 'the Canadian'

.girl ferment. said...

I hope the flow comes soon. Congrats on being part of the exhibition... cannot wait for my postcards.
xx

Anastasia said...

Congrats on the exhibition! im sure it will be fantastic!

Anonymous said...

Amen!
Sometimes you do just have to let go, but it's great to have a balance.
There is a place for both approaches, the lesson for me is learning to allow the two to happily exist together.
Caroline
X

DMG said...

For some reason, the only time I can be completely spontaneous is if I'm working in what I call my "Art Journal." For 2 weks I've been looking at a sketch I made of a character that I'd like to paint or possibly use in a series of illustrations. I seem to be paralyzed. Why can't I apply the same free, experimental method that I do when journaling!?!

Maureen Reynolds said...

Well, I've found that clearing other crapola out of my head allows the flow of other things. I highly rec The Artist Way for getting a reminder of all the ways we can sabotage ourselves.

Sometimes just taking pencil to paper and fooling around leads to what is in you, waiting to get out. Faith and letting go...you've got your own answer, and add to that the discipline of daily 'doing', daily being relative.

Susan Schwake said...

i have every confidence in all that you do ms. f-p. isn't it awful to think that artschool does this sometimes? i always feel lucky to have had my experience in the 70s cause everything was a little more open then. i take it for granted now but try to do the same with each and ever student i come in contact with in my teaching.
rules --- just made to be broken!
this exhibit is going to be smashing. i just know it!
:)
xo
susan
p.s. artstream is one word lower case.... no one ever gets it right!
lol!

flossy-p said...

Hi Everyone, it's so nice to know everyone else feels the same sometimes :)

Sarah: I imagine much of the best dancing in the world is done late at night in the privacy of ones loungeroom or bedroom, I know mine is, hehehe ;)

Jen: I agree, there's a lot of my work that I can't remember doing, or wonder how the hell I did that! Weird isn't it?

Jade: thanks :) I hope your cards arrive very soon!

Anastasia: Thanks, I'm really looking forward to it :)

Caroline: Ah, excellent advice. I keep on forgetting about co-existence. No matter how many times I have that epiphany I somehow manage to forget. I completely agree that the secret is all in finding balance. Thanks for the reminder!

Alberta & Ava: Hey thanks for stopping by! I think that's why journals have that secret mystical reputation... they hold a magic unto themselves. Perhaps the whole purpose of them is for your own personal reassurance.

Maureen: You must have telepathically beamed that advice to me, as I avoided the compeuter for most of the weekend, but the first thing I did before starting my newest work was to pour through my well-loved Artists Way book. It's an excellent way to clear out the crapola, works every time :)

Susan: I'm so sorry about the spelling, I feel terrible especially because you're always so precise with mine. Anyway, I'm glad you told me, I won't make that mistake again.
It's because of your confidence in me that I feel capable of doing this for you. I can't wait!

p.s. I have heaps to say about art school and the lasting effect, but perhaps that's another story. :)


...I'm enjoying doing these (new to me) responses. I hope you guys are finding them :)

Sally said...

Congrats on the upcoming show! I have been coming back regularly to see the latest peek of artwork. It is going to be fantastic! Can't wait for the big unveiling.
I know what you mean about letting go and letting the art happen frivalously. It is so difficult to do! I too found that art school really pushed concept and ideas and by the end I forgot how to just play with the art mediums. It is difficult to lose that habit!
I'm glad you posted about this since you articulated exactly what I feel at times. Good luck with the show!