flossy-p home

Sunday, June 15, 2008

my creative space

Creative Space
This is: the space in which I create.

Although it's rather pokey, I'm so happy to say that in this house I do have a creative space. In our last house I did what most of us do; commandeer the dining table. But in this house I have a whole room of my own. Like I said it's pretty small, so it's by no means grand or even ideal, but it's a start, and it really really helps to be able to have a space you can leave piles of organised chaos and not feel guilty.

Some days I call it my office, some days I call it my studio, and the rest of the time it's called the front room... it all depends what's going on in there at the time. My huge antique wardrobe houses mountains of fabric, craft and art supplies, and all my completed artworks. It's fantastic for it to be so big, hold so much stuff, and keep everything out of the way in the one place.

The rest of the room is taken up with a big table in front of the window... somewhere under the piles of "in progress" projects. And I do my computer work in my office part of the room, aka inside the cupboard! Seriously! I made a desk to fit inside the built-in cupboard, decorated, strung up some fairy lights, and now I have an office space that I can close away when I am sick of the computer, or just need to block away the distraction of the internet. It may seem a bit strange, but it means I can easily convert the room from work mode to art mode. It works quite well really.

So it's all squeezed into one small room. The photo's make it look bigger, but it's not. I still appreciate having it though.

(p.s. yes, that's me lurking in the shadows in that photo. Bet you thought you'd never see the day when I posted a pic of myself on this blog eh?)

24 comments:

Jacinta said...

Great space. I would love a room of my own for creative pursuits. My partner and I have an ongoing 'joke' about my studio, his office... and we are in the same room.

Also I love your built in cupboard idea - nice to be able to block off the computer when you don't want it's distractions. Nice view into the garden. Very lucky.

Hila said...

What a lovely room! And it's nice to see a photo of you :)

Michelle said...

What a wonderful space of your own!

Rayne said...

This is all so clever and wonderful! Love the fairy lights and I like the middle photo with the kitty silhouette. Isn't having your own creating space so utterly fantastic. This is the first house I've been able to do that and even though it's just a little thing, too, and I share it with my daughter, I love it.

Melanie Gray Augustin said...

Look at all that gorgeous greenery outside your window. A lovely space.

I just love the idea of being able to shut the distraction of the computer away, something I really need to do at times.

laura said...

What a great idea to make the closet into a computer room!

I've lately made friends with a lovely girl from Australia who is in Montreal taking French courses and renting a room at my friend's apartment. She is so amazed by how inexpensive everything is here, and it blows my mind when she makes price comparisons. Then again, she lives in Sydney, so I can only assume and hope you do not need to pay as much for living as she does. The price difference is really quite insane though. She is obsessed with dollar stores at the moment, because things are actually a dollar, hehe.

Oh, and it's you! Though of course very obscured. ;)

Anonymous said...

The desk in the cupboard is inspired! It can be so distracting having the internet whispering "come browse" when you're trying to create. The room looks lovely and light too.

Michelle said...

A great place! And look at your lovely window with all the greenery, very inspiring!

Bec said...

What a lovely little space. Sounds like it has everything you need! I love all the little postcards and pictures stuck up over the computer area - and the fairy lights too!! Nothing makes a space feel special like fairy lights :)

Edrian said...

It's wonderful that you have a space of your own. I like to be able to close the door and get in the zone. It really helps my creative process, and being able to leave piles of organized chaos as you call it, also makes it easier to jump right into things. Congrats! And enjoy!

.girl ferment. said...

wow it looks like a great space. At least you have a lovely large window.
xx

Anastasia said...

what a beautiful space to be creative - so much natural light! lovely room!
you seem so organised...i cant wait to have my own room/studio where I can just potter around but I'll probably go back to the family room as I need people around me haha...i get lonely!

Jenny said...

It might be small but it is lovely and that window!!!nice greenery outside.Love the wardrobe.

Kirsty said...

Your space is just lovely.

danica said...

I love your space. It's beautiful :)

Danielle said...

I'm a big fan of working next to a window. Somehow it just makes it seem less like a "work" space. The greenery outside is beautiful and I love the idea of working in the cupboard and then being able to hide it away.

lil kim said...

Wow cool! I love seeing artist spaces, and it's great to see yours (and you, mysteriously) And yours is proof that it's not how big the space is, it's what you do with it. At the moment I have my very own room with a door and everything, but it doesn't have nearly the same feeling and good vibe that yours does!!

Maureen Reynolds said...

What a gorgeous view of you and the greenery. That plant energy is so inspiring and..no surprise...energizing. Glad to 'see' you.

steve said...

Excellent Flossy-P! Like you, my work/play space (I just haven't been able to get myself to call it a studio yet) is located by some nice big windows in the front room of my apartment. I find it very difficult to work without the sunlight, and the sight of trees outside. Also, thanks for the kind words here. Your art and your blog are marvelous!

flossy-p said...

Hi Everyone, Thanks for your comments :) Yes, all the ferns outside the window are a really beautiful addition, I think they help to make me feel more grounded, and remind me that there is a world outside.

Rayne & Bec, yes those fairy light do make me feel a little bit glamourous ;)

Flossyflotsam, oh, it's so ice you have a new friend from afar...but please don't tell me anymore about the cost of living here. It has driven us out of our beloved Sydney and far away, where it is still difficult to get by. I don't think we'll ever be able to afford our own home :(

Steve, I agree that sunlight makes a huge difference to your work flow. And you're very welcome for the kind words, you're art and blog are also marvelous!

:D

Lois said...

How wonderful that you have your own space no matter how small it may be. I like how you built your computer into a cupboard. My son bought one years ago that was designed for this purpose. I love it but haven't found anything like it for myself yet.
I hope you enjoy "your space" for many, many years to come.

Belinda said...

What a great space, looking out onto the greenery! Lovely.

Cathy {tinniegirl} said...

I love your space. Your computer room is so very glam and I love the way you can close it away when you want to escape work. It's very clever.

Anonymous said...

ahh, at least you have a room! It looks lovely a peaceful too. I used to take over the table too. I especially like the use of the "computer cupboard" very clever.
Nice to see you (kind of).