Over a nice dinner together last night, Mr You and I were talking about the dawning days of the internet (yes, clearly we're old geeks. Terribly interesting ones though). He was musing about how in the very early days it seemed that 97% of it was inhabited by males, and on the rare occasion that a female would appear in a forum or chatroom, she would be instantly swarmed by the lads.
So I was amused today when thinking to myself about the percentage of females to males in the blogging community (at least the one I find myself in). When I find a male has left a comment I experience a bit of the "swarm" myself. Not that I'm going to launch myself "annual-bridal-gown-sale" style at them, or even sidle up with a "do you come here often" type line or anything, no, no, it's all safe. But it's just so rare that I can't help but get a bit of a thrill.
So at the risk of scaring this rarest of species away... ladies roll up your sleeves, get your barging elbows out... hello Steve, thanks for leaving some comments :)
Also, if you haven't met Willie, please go check out his unique world, it's pretty amazing.
Oh, and Patrick! Go meet Patrick too! His art is mind blowing.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)










8 comments:
you are right! My husband always has a laugh about that too... I can count with my fingers the male blogreaders that comment in my blog. But I know of lotta male friends that read it! They say commenting is a girl thing... but they don't miss the opportunitty of phoning me to talk about my posts! I think they're kinda funny, ha, ha...
:)
Hello Steve, Willie and Patrick!
hehe, you're right. I think men read the blogs, but don't necessarily leave comments.
Well now, that IS an ego boost. I didn't know my mere presence was causing girls to swoon. I've got a litle extra swagger in my step today!
Y'know, your husband might be right. I read much more often than I comment. Maybe it's that blog commenting asks for a more-or-less positive, supporting comment. Whereas if you go to the computer or movie site forums the posters are overwhelmingly packed with testosterone and seem to spend most of their time trying to come up with new, clever ways to tell each other that they suck. A different kind of fun.
When I taught coding, web design, etc. I was the only female teacher for the computer department and it isn't like computers were a new thing by then. I felt like I had been thrown into the 1950's they way they treated me. Never rudely, but more like, "Oh, isn't that cute? She's trying to think!"
You know what, I actually MET Patrick, I mean, introduced myself, face to face, a few weeks ago! I've been admiring (OK, completely in awe of) his work for a while now. He was at the Tokyo Design Festa, so I went up and said hello. Lovely guy!
Welcome gentlemen. I'll have to check out your blogs too.
I do recall the early days of the net since we finally had a connection at work on ONE computer, not mine, and I used to stay after work till 11-ish surfing on that computer, tho that term hadn't come into use then. It was the days when there was The Site of the Day - anyone else recall that? and you could know many of the sites, of the total sites ! publicly available on the net. I'm thinking this was the early 90s?
Esti: well it's good to get some insider information. I had no idea commenting was a girl thing, but it makes sense I guess. :) (right Hila?)
Patrick: I agree, I was frightened away from Photo.net by all the testosterone fueled mean comments. I had no idea it was a "different kind of fun" ;)
Rayne: Grrr to those boys, and also, you get serious street cred points for teaching web coding so early.
Melanie: That's so cool you've met Patrick face to face, AND seen his art in the flesh.
Maureen: I don't remember site of the day, but I think I recall the site count. You also get serious street cred points!!!!
Weird.. I thought I left a comment here on your man-post. I checked out all their amazing blogs - fantastic. And great reference point too - thanks for giving us the heads up!
Post a Comment