flossy-p home

Sunday, June 08, 2008

portugal

Portugal
This is: my favourite travel memory.

I couldn't possible narrow it down to one single memory, I'm not sure I could even narrow it down to a city or country, I've loved so many of my travels, but for the purpose of Hila's "this is" theme this week I've chosen to share Portugal!

While other travel memories I have are moments, feelings, people, culture, ambience, etc, Portugal still holds thick in my visual memory. It's literally coated in pattern, everywhere your eyes come to rest; from the patterned footpaths, to the colourfully tiled houses, and painted tile murals. It's like no other place I've ever been.

Whether it be ornate decoration, or decaying paint or stonework, there's pattern to be found at all ends of the spectrum. The beauty does not favour the rich over the poor, it spreads itself equally and generously among all. Whether it be new and carefully laid out, or ancient and haphazard, the colours still shine bright.

Lady at FatimaOf course I still hold many unique moments from our time there fondly...
- Coming across a small pet market. No not a small market of pet things, a largish market selling only small pets.
- Old women sitting on every corner every Thursday selling small posies of wilted handpicked wildflowers, wrapped in a bit a tin foil.
- And the day I stood looking closely at the mountain of Christian souvenir paraphernalia in this stall for a good minute before I realised there was a live woman tucked in amongst it.


All I can say is no wonder there is such beautiful art and craft coming from the bloggers of Portugal!

17 comments:

Michelle said...

What a beautiful memory! I love those photos - very evocative.

Jacinta said...

I love your photos - they are so colourful and express so beautifully the feeling of age and history.

Lovely!

danica said...

Oh, your photographs are so evocative and rich in texture and colour! They make me want to visit Portugal :) So beautiful, flossy- p!

Erin said...

Isn't it funny how some memories are moments and some memories come together to create their own little world? I love your favorite memories-- you make Portugal sound so beautiful.

Lilli boo said...

Great photos, all of them, I really love texture, colour and architecture to evoke memory from aplce I hve travlled too, you have captured these beautifully!I am more then inspired to travel to Portugal now. I was meant to go there in 1994 and my visa ran out for Spain so to cut a long story short..I didn't make it. I was actually only talking about this with my partner and he reminded me you don't need visas anymore..get me on that plane now!

Melanie Gray Augustin said...

Wow! Beautifully written and gorgeous photos. I haven't been to Portugal (actually, haven't been to Europe yet, Asia seems to call me each time), but really want to go there. Now, after reading your post, I want to go even more!

Hila said...

oh what beautiful photos! I've always wanted to go to Portugal, and these photos are making me want to go even more. I love places with colour. I sometimes got a bit depressed in certain places in England because of the blandness :)

Jenny said...

These lovely photos make me want to go too. Loved reading all about it

Anastasia said...

what gorgeous photos!! ive only been as far as Spain but Portugal is on my list of places I must visit...you should see the gorgeous pictures in tEssa Kiros's new book Piri Piri...Portugal looks amazing!!

Esti said...

Thanks for sharing your memories!

Lisa [strickerin] said...

So divine. Looks and sounds like a really amazing place.

Maureen Reynolds said...

Oh thank you for such a lovely description of Portugal. I almost used our trip in February for this meme. I actually brought home a small road square from a neighborhood street work site - cf your patterned footpaths.

Hila, when the clouds come in it gets REALLY dark! but then the sun shines and all is forgotten.

Lois said...

What a great holiday memory!
The pictures are beautiful.

Danielle said...

This sounds like an amazing holiday. Such beautiful photos too. I haven't made it to Portugal but have now put it on the "one day..." list.

Rayne said...

I just love the photo of the old car. When we lived in Germany I took literally thousands of photos of buildings, windows, doors, carvings, stairs, etc. Loved it so much!

steve said...

hey, thanks for sharing--what a beautiful place!

.girl ferment. said...

Gorgeous,gorgeous photographs and memories.
(Also I saw your illo in curvy and it looks fantastic in print).
xx