But today my care-taker credibility all vanished in single sunken moment...
I took Mr You back into hospital today to an appointment where he had to have his cast off, x-rays examined, his surgery wound checked, arm bent and stretched to check for mobility, and a new cast put on.Mr You did very well. Everything was looking good, and HE remained conscious throughout the whole appointment. It was all going swimmingly, until I started to get the sweats, got that prickly hot/cold feeling, and started getting dizzy. I tried to get up and slip out of the ward before anyone noticed, got as far as the door and completely blacked out... And like a corset-constricted victorian dame, I damn well feinted.
A male nurse held me upright, while another nurse dashed and brought me a chair, yet another rushed for a glass of water, and another buzzed about fetching me a cool face washer, and ANOTHER rummaged for the jelly beans. It was a well rehearsed operation. They said it happens fairly often... but usually to the PATIENTS!!!! Not to the companions!
Oh, and there I was, plopped on a chair in the middle of the doorway between the waiting room and the ward for all to see, head most unglamourously wedged between my legs, eyes wide open but unable to see, hearing all this go on around me, while the 6 or 7 patients were instantaneously abandoned by their nurses and doctors, all because I got squeamish.
Oh Lordy... The embarrassment! The shame! The heckling I will cop from Mr You for the rest of my days!
I'm not normally so lame. I don't know what happened.
I may very well have to rename myself floppy-p.
note: that odd shape in his x-ray is his shiny new inner bling: a new elbow knob, titanium of course.










11 comments:
He he he, that's hilarious! Unfortunately it's even more funny to me because I have also been there. Actually, the last time I fainted (while getting a simple blood test - and I've had many before without feeling faint at all) I then burst into tears when I came around, as I was so embarrassed. Which of course made me feel more embarrassed, so I cried even more....sheesh!!!:P
By the way, I did the 'on my walls' post, and quite enjoyed looking at everything with new eyes, so thank-you for tagging me!
Ha ha ha. That was too funny.
That pin in Mr. You's arm looks so weird.
Have a great day.
Renee Khan
Remember how when you were growing up old people, like your parents & aunts and uncles always said weird things that made no sense to you?
Like after fainting in front of your church congregation at your confirmation. I was 13 yeas old and boy was I embarrassed, and my mom kept saying, "Well, it could have been much worse!" I kept thinking, "How mom?” I was the center of attention of about 150 people for 10 minutes, and when I went down my dress went up! Enough said. I am sure you get the picture. As an adult I now know what she meant...I could have hit my head on the alter or broken a bone on the tumble down the steps.
So Flossy let me play mom for a minute...."It could have been worse...you could have thrown up in front of everyone.
Ewwww.....
Hope this makes you feel a little less embarrassed.
Thanks for sharing and I hope you have a faint free week.
Lois
I had to use the bed beside my step-son when at about age six he turned one of his fingers inside out around the bone. It god wedged in a farm gate hinge and "popped". The bone wasn't broken, it just split like a sausage and opened up around it. He still has a mangled finger. No proper finger print. Weird. But I was laid out in the hospital ward next to him because I too got that cold prickly feeling.
All I can say is your still one fantastic partner and I would hope Mr You will be "Thanking" you more then "heckling.." cause he still has had to rely on you for alot since the accident... look at the list of things you have been doing for him... your not 'Floppy-P' more like 'Super Flossy-P'
Happens to the best of us... & no amount of stern self talk does any good when there's a swoon coming on!
I used to faint a lot more when I was anemic... you might want to have your bloodwork done just in case. That's if you can bring yourself to set foot in the doctor's office!
Thanks for your comment by the way, & the tip on the hoop-- who knew! I'll have to see if they have those shops in these parts.
i agree with lilli boo - SUPER flossy-p. i fainted in a crowded museum exhibit and in a tram car while i was pregnant with Eila - very embarrassing both times. but it does seem like if you are going to faint, a hospital would be a good place for it. hope you are feeling better - and mr. you too!
I'm not a fainter- but one time while i was having blood drawn I felt this strange sensation of the blood coming directly from my brain as it filled the vials. I was getting cold and hearing a buzz in my ears. After the nurse was done she wouldn't let me leave without laying down for 15 minutes because I looked so pale. The closest I've ever come to fainting- but even that caught me off guard!
You are a super flossy... I agree!
Why does that elbow exray make no sense to me?
Thanks for the sympathy you guys :)
Bec: I know it's bad, but i giggled when I heard you cried of embarrassment, heee, sorry.
Renee: I know, that bit it amazing isn't it. I'm hoping I can blip him at checkouts now :)
Lois: OMG you poor thing. I understand how that moment would remain with you forever. Thankfully I was wearing pants, not a skirt.
Katie: Are you trying to make me faint all over again, and spew this time too?!!!! No, seriously, I think you had every right to end up in a hospital bed after witnessing THAT!
Lilli Boo: :D Thanks! Although I must confess this time has shown me how little I usually do around the house (feeding and fetching aside), all the housework that Mr You normally does. I feel like I'm on an episode of wife-swap learning how good I normally have it ;)
Curious Art: thanks for the tip. I actually had that all checked a few years ago, and I had very high iron levels. So I think I'm just plain old fashioned squeamish.
Love: Oh, that's right, I remember that story abut your feinting. Oh it'd be much more scary when you're pregnant, although, also much more excusable. I think I'll stuff a cushion down my shirt next time I start feeling dizzy. ;)
Jennifer: blood, eeew. Yes, that x-ray is one crazy thing alright. The dark bit is the new titanium bit. The knob replaces the knob of his elbow that broke off, and the long pin bit is inserted into the marrow shaft of the bone to hold it in place - eeeeew but amazing too.
how odd - that happened to my mum too ...i was the one in pain in ER not knowing what was going on ( it was bad ovulation pain after all that) and my mother fainted to the floor...if you're going to faint a hospital is a good place to do it I guess...haha!
man if i had to put deodorant on my man i would pass-out too.
xx
Post a Comment