Yesterday this amazing ceramic disc arrived in the mail, along with a sweet card that read; "My daughter bought me this in Mazatland, Mexico years ago. Since you love all things Mexican, I decided I would love you to have it. Take care sweet girl. Love Renee."
Those words along with the gesture brought tears to my eyes.
You see Renee is someone I've come to meet quite recently (on the web only). She has become somewhat of a patron of my art, and is buying alot from me. She emails me often with the loveliest compliments, and supportive words, and tells me I remind her of her daughter. And if that's not enough, she's doing all this during what must be the most difficult time of her life. She has terminal cancer.
(I don't think she'll mind me sharing that fact. She is quite open about it).
I find it difficult to believe actually, because of how much life she has in her. How it beams out strong and bright, with a melody and a damn good dance to go with it. She is absolutely full of spunk and charisma, love, generosity, tenderness, and humour. She is embracing. And I imagine her hugs would be unforgettable.
I don't know her well enough to know if she was always like this, or if this new life she's been given (in boldly defying how long she was told she had left) has brought these qualities to the surface more. Either way, I'm not sure I've ever known anyone like her before. I'm not convinced I will ever again. And I almost feel like the "chosen one" to be gifted with her company and friendship in this way. If I haven't made it clear yet, I feel completely honoured to know her.
I have no idea how I would react if I was in her shoes. But with her I have the feeling though that cancer really doesn't get a look-in. (although I'm sure she battles and suffers to no end in all sorts of ways of course)... What I mean is that with all of her bountiful qualities and abundant sense of life, cancer is way back in the queue, on tippy toes, straining to even get a look-in. It does not define who she is. She alone has taken that steering wheel. With her foot on the accelerator, music singing out, honking the novelty horn loud and happy, waving to kids out the window as they laugh with glee at seeing her, and the flowers at the sides of the road bending in to be close.
... And with a lump in my throat, a grin on my face, and a pencil in my hand, I wonder how on earth I get someone like that on paper in the painted form.
Thank-you so much Renee.

11 comments:
Wow, what a sweetheart :)
It's an amazing part of being an artist, I'm coming to find, the connections that people form to your work. Clearly she adores your stuff, how could she not, but to send something that gorgeous just because? What a rockstar.
I've been thinking about the influence serious illness can have on people, more specifically, I've been thinking about how it changed me. Not that anaphylaxis and coeliacs is as life-altering as cancer, but it's taken a lot of adjusting.
I used to have a terrible temper and next to no patience at all, because as an undiagnosed coeliac I was always suffering from some ailment or another, and so angry that I didn't have any answers and couldn't work/party/live like i wanted to.
Then my godmother (a breast cancer survivor) sat me down and told me that I had to accept that I had something horrid, something I couldn't change and that I might as well adapt and get on with living.
Sorry, this is all a bit scrambled, but I guess I'm just trying to explain the thought process your friend might have gone through. Maybe she's worked through the pain and the horribleness of it all, and now she's happy and ready to live with grace and dignity... seems like it.
Oh Sarah:
What the heck can I say to that lovely tribute you gave me. Really Sarah, that is so nice. Too nice as a matter of fact.
One thing I want you to know is that I feel that cancer has given me absolutely nothing. I have always appreciated the stars, the sky has always been blue, and the birds have surely always sung.
You have made me cry. I do have the monster that comes out of the bed sometimes and I have had moments where I want to slap my sisters in the face because they will get to live to see their children and I won't. But I am glad that doesn't happen often.
Thank you for the lovely tribute.
Love Renee
you will try to capture her spirit in one of your lovely works, right?
Thanks for the lovely tribute to my Mom. She is just as you described, she is wonderful. I felt the lump in my throat as I saw her driving in her car, waving to the kids.
She has told us over and over again how much she appreciates your art your inspiring words on her blog. She was excited to send you the Mexican artifacts...she was even asking me to round up any items I may have.
By the way, your art is truly beautiful and uplifting. I am hoping to send out some 'beautiful tree' cards to our neighbours with my little girl.
Hope all is wonderful with you.
How lucky that your paths have crossed and that you so appreciate one another even though you haven't physically met-you've met all right! I have been very touched by reading your post and the comments and am yet again puzzled how strange life is on so many levels!Your painting will be beautiful I have no doubt.
XXX
she sounds amazing- and so is that ceramic plate- i have just been browsing the shop- very talented you are;)
x ashley
What an incredible and lovely connection.
She sounds like an amazing and beautiful soul.
Beautiful.
xox Nicole
You are fortunate to have a role ina beautiful story like this one. It seems that you've striken some real friendship here and that's truly valuable. :)
your description " And I imagine her hugs would be unforgettable" is lovely.
I look forward to your representation of her on paper.
xx
Post a Comment