flossy-p home

Friday, October 24, 2008

tenacity

I'm a bit lost for words today. I wanted to thank everyone for the warm responses to yesterday's post. And I want to say more about that, about Renee and Angelique both responding personally, about Nomes and Emma having such personal reactions, and about what that meant to me to have them all share it. But also how it's not about me at all. But like I said, I'm lost for words.

I keep meeting these people with such tenacity...

Today I had morning tea with a possible new friend who lives around the corner. Within the first 5 minutes she was telling me openly all about her little boy, who due to a bad birth, has been left severely disabled with cerebral palsy. He has full mental capacity, but absolutely no control of his motor skills, which means he can't speak, or walk, or sit up. Yet she was telling me this very matter-of-factly, with no hint of sorrow, and quite enthusiastically showing me all of his braces, chairs and equipment.

Again I was floored.

Lost for words at these people, who amaze and startle me with their joy for life, despite what it deals them.

And while I'm left feeling saddened for them, I also feel as though I have no right to be. As though I should be creating more joy for them instead.

So I'm going to sign-out by trying something new here. Something Sarah does every day...
Today I'm grateful for:
- mine and my family's good health
- living in such a beautiful, safe place
- the sunshine
- living my ideal lifestyle
- the use of my hands... as small and clumsy as they may be ;)


Thank-you all you lovely lovelies (that's people/readers/commenters/friends of course). You make my day!

7 comments:

CurlyPops said...

I had no words to leave a comment yesterday. I went over and read Renee's blog and saved it into my favourites. It's amazing how your perspective on life completely changes due to disability and illness. I never let anything get to me anymore because nothing is more important than still being here with family and friends (and other bloggers).

Anonymous said...

Being grateful teaches us that we are all truly blessed. It may not be apparent, but the sun does always shine after the rain, leaving us having learnt the lesson of hope. Your sunshine may come in huge rays that light up the sky or little rays bursting through the clouds.. or perhaps it just lights the sky enough, so that we may see through the dark into the hopeful beyond.
We look around and see others less fortunate than ourselves. Then again, perhaps we are looking at them from the wrong angle, and it is us who is less fortunate than others. It all depends on what colour glasses you have on and how you look at things, and from what angle. That is what I believe.
I am always grateful for everything in my life. Sometimes it is harder to be thankful for the hard times... but without the hard times... there are no lessons to learn... and no greater good for us to strive for.

Flossy, you are indeed having moment to mark in your life.

Sending you love,
Nicole
xox

Geek+Nerd said...

Those are wonderful things to be thankful for. I love NIcole's comment above as well, really that pretty much articulates everything that I could add here.

I really enjoy doing the little thankful sign out. I find that even on the worst days - there is still *SOMETHING* even if it is really small that is good. Like the day I was screaming at the phone guy a few days ago, in my pajamas, in the gas station. While it was happening...not so fun or funny in any way! But in retrospect it's hilarious. I had two choices - be bitter about the disappearance of customer service or have a laugh at myself! Having a laugh is always the healthier choice!

You and I, and really all bloggers out there, are so lucky to have the chance to make these random connections with people half way across the world! Hurray technology! I'm so thankful to have come across your blog and your artwork and to call you a blog friend.

Renee said...

Good Morning Flossy-P:

Once again thank you so much.

The comments above are so insightful and it is a wonderful thing to see how you have surrounded yourself with such good people.

I don't know who this quote is by "Our hands have met, but not our hearts." But for my feelings for you I want to rephrase it and say "Our hands have not met, but our hearts are one."

You are a joyful spirit. I don't know if you have read the Harry Potter books are not but there are dementors out in the world. How happy are we that we can bring light to the shadows.

Down with Dementors.

Love Renee xoxoxo

Sharon said...

Just like curlypops I left no message yesterday just because I couldn't find any words, I think your post touched many of us. Thanks for reminding us to be grateful. It's simple but so easy to forget. x

Anonymous said...

Wow, that's such a lovely sentiment, and such true words. It makes me really rethink my complaints about stupid job issues and the like. It's always nice to find something to challenge yourself to take life a bit less seriously.

And, by the by, tag, you're it!
http://cateanevski.typepad.com

Megan.K. said...

Oh Flossy you have touched a lot of people this week. I was also like Curlypops and didn't know what to say about the earlier post. Sometimes it's like that, think I might say the wrong thing, so I don't say anything.
I also love the way you have ended this post with what you are grateful for. Thank you Flossy.