flossy-p home

Monday, October 27, 2008

random runout

I've been tagged by Nomes, Ashley , Cate, with the "6 Random Things" meme. I've done this one a few times now, and although I still try to come up with stuff, I'm sorry to say that right now I'm so "randomed" out that I feel very normal and boring in fact... I just don't have anything interesting to share.

But, don't worry, I have a plan...

6 Random Things

The Rules:
1. Link to the person who tagged you. (Nomes + Ashley + Cate)
2. Mention the rules. (check)
3. Tell six quirky yet boring, unspectacular details about yourself.
4. Tag six other bloggers by linking to them.
5. Go to each person's blog and leave a comment that lets them know they've been tagged.
6. Let the person who tagged you know when you've written the post.

So here we go...
6 Random Things About My Parter in Crime; Mr You.
(After all, they say you can tell alot about a person by the company they keep)

1. He's the son of a fisherman, he tells me stories of sick days home from primary school having to sleep on a little matress on the floor of the fish co-op that his parents owned. The smell has remained with him (in his memory, not physically thank god)... He doesn't like seafood very much as a result.

2. Cats and children LOVE him. We used to have to factor an extra 15 minutes when we were walking somewhere to give all the neighbourhood cats time to come and say hello to him. The same thing happens with children, usually our friends kids, but sometimes complete strangers too. We'll be sitting in a cafe and the next minute there's a little kid coming right up to him for a bit of a chat, 30 seconds later they're best friends. It's the strangest thing. Like he's got some "Santa" quality to him or something (despite being quite slim and not having a beard).

3. There isn't a day that goes by without him failing to cite some nostalgia for the "great decade that was the 1980's". It took him a while to cotton on that I had turned this quirk into a joke. I now call him Uncle Rico.

4. Despite that, he is one of the smartest people I know. Either that or he remembers every fact he's ever heard. His team always wins at trivia. He credits this intelligence to Billy Joel's We Didn't Start the Fire. Apparently everything you'll ever need to know is in that song.

5. One of his really good friends (that he's known for years) became a very famous "rock star" internationally in the last 5 years. It's very surreal seeing him everywhere. They've since lost contact, and although Mr You would love to let him know that he's really happy and proud for him, he worries that calling him now would seem like he's just being a bit of a groupy. He doesn't tell people about this, because name dropping is wanky.

6. He very recently found out that he is an 8th Aboriginal. At first I think it was a bit of a tid-bit, but now it's starting to sink in more and I think in future years he will really feel an urge to research the family line more deeply. We've been watching the "First Australians" TV series on SBS, and are both left speechless afterwards.

- - -

Thanks taggers! That was fun :)

Now I tag.. um has anyone not done this yet? Or wants to do it again? Leave me a comment and I'll tag you :)


And in case you're curious here are lots of random things about me.

8 comments:

ashley said...

the first australians is such an amazing show...
mr. you sounds like a wonderful fellow, cats and children certainly know best;)
x ashley

Katrina Jackson said...

Love is the same way with kids. It's a great quality to have! :) Mr. You sounds like an awesome person!

Susan Schwake said...

so wonderful to know more about mr. you! ... he shares some of rainer's qualities... especially the kittens and children! and dare i may say a bit of the uncle rico too... that made me laugh SO hard when i read that bit.

Liesl said...

A most enjoyable read of randomness. Animals and children are generally very good judges of character, so Mr You must be a pretty good sort.

Cathy {tinniegirl} said...

Wow, that was a fascinating group of randomness. I am left wanting to know more like who this famous rock star is and what aborginal tribe/lineage Mr You has, and how he found out about his cultural background so recently.

Anonymous said...

my bf is an 80's guy too...and he always wins at scrabble,trivia,jeopardy - any game where you have to think + know stuff. i'm always on his team + i love that he is so smart + seems to know everything.

Hila said...

wow, he sounds like quite a man - but you do realise that I'm now dying of curiousity about who the famous "rock star" is?

Esti said...

I agree with hila... :)