flossy-p home

Monday, January 22, 2007

billow

Billow
It's been hot here, really hot; sleep on top of the sheets with a fan on you all night kind of hot. So this weekend Mr You and I constructed a shade cloth kind of thing to give our exterior wall a bit of respite from the sun, and prevent our loungeroom heating up like a woodfire oven. Okay, at this point I'll admit it was my idea (not to take the glory, but to relinquish Mr You of any responsibility for such a non-sturdy plan). You see I bought the cloth for $3, it's very thin, non-woven ... well it's a giant tissue really. I little stronger, but essentially a giant tissue. We strung it up along our side courtyard, and within a few hours one of the corners had already torn off.

But it’s beautiful! Really beautiful. I spent a good part of the weekend in the back garden (which opens up past the bushy tree you can see at the end there) on the grass under the tree, watching my giant tissue billow gracefully and silently in the wind.
It’s mesmerising, and looks as though it belongs in a film. It has torn in a few more spots, but is still up and basically in the right shape… and still billowing.

I didn’t go for a walk yet thismorning as it’s still very hot, I think I’ll go swimming instead a little later. However, I wanted to show you a few of the pics I took on my walks last week…

Grown things:
Walk - grown
A pink boganvillia and some hollow green hairy... well I won't say what they reminded me of, but they were strange.

Built things:
Walk - built

Folk I met along the way:
Walk - met
The first one is a dinosaur bush; there is a house with amazing topiary hedges in their front garden. There are dinosaurs with eyes, claws and teeth, birds with beaks and they all watch you as you pass by.

4 comments:

Allison said...

be careful! you might wake up one morning and your house will have *sailed* away, which wouldn't necessarily be a bad thing unless you landed in the top of a tree and when you stepped outside took a tumble.

i love this set of photos! i want to walk where you do so that i can meet so many friendly looking characters!

Rayne said...

Wouldn't that be wonderful? To find you have sailed away?
Not to sound too much like a horribly spoiled American but do you have air condtioning?
I love the little green, hairy balls plant.
I am also so very jealous, I want to have a nice place to walk, too. I miss that very much.

Victoria said...

That sail is magic. I'm loving your photos too.

isay said...

lovely photos and beautiful neighborhood!

i like the tissue!