I can't believe I didn't take my camera to the Modest Mouse gig last night . I don't usually take it to gigs because for most of the time my view is usually the back of someone’s sweaty neck, or a very intimate elbow experience. But last night I had the best photo taking position and was regretting not bringing my camera all night, especially each time they all picked up a totally new instrument to play. However, this did leave me free to enjoy the music.
At first there was a bass player, a guitarist, the lead singer/2nd guitar, a guy on keyboards and two drummers on different kits playing in unison. Then the rest of the night it was like watching a game of musical chairs but with instruments; there were endless guitar changes and swaps, a trumpet, a double bass, bongos, banjo, piano accordion, and one of those thingies where you blow into a tube which is attached to a mini keyboard. It was great!
(wouldn't a photo slot in so well right here?)
Anyway, one of my favourite song lines is from a Modest Mouse song:
"My thoughts are so loud I can't hear my mouth"
I've always been impressed by great song lyrics, but I especially love when a single line captures a mountain worth of meaning (or humour).
Some of my favourites (that I can think of right now) are:
"Judge the miracle by feel not size" - Badly Drawn Boy
"Winter weather is not my soul" - Smog
"I had to yell just to get my voice back" - Smog
"If I could f#*k a mountain, Lord I would f#*k a mountain" - Palace (this makes me laugh every time)
"I am not Jesus, but I have the same initials" - Pulp
and my favourite at the moment is:
"Well I guess everybody has their own thing that they yell into a well. I gave it a couple of hoots, a hello, and a fuckallyall" - Smog
Lyrics by Bright Eyes always floor me, I could never pick out a single line.
Do you have any favourites? What are they?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)










1 comment:
My current fave that keeps rolling around in my head, "He doesn't look a thing like Jesus, but he talks like a gentleman..." - The killers.
John Mayer and Jack Johnson always have such clever lyrics... but I haven't listened to them in a few weeks (SHAME!!)...
Post a Comment