Rayne said (about my phoenix illustration):
"...I like how she is sitting, how her body is bent and you can't really tell if she is levering herself up or going to lay back down..."
Thanks Rayne, I’m really glad you noticed that.
There are two things I learnt during all those years at school (and still remember), that I try to apply to my illustrations.
One was tension. Introducing a sense of tension adds interest. So instead of having the girl simply sit or stand, she is half way between 2 poses, giving a sense of movement, weight and tension (meaning something has just happened, or is about to happen).
Two was the reason “The Thinker”, by Rodin, looks like he is thinking hard about something, and not just sitting, bored, and waiting for the bus. His body is twisted. He is leaning his elbow on the opposite knee, giving his body a slight twist (adding tension). I learnt that the viewer subconsciously relates a certain feeling to the way a figure is posed. It’s all in the body language. A wordless language common to us all.Thank goodness you guys comment, otherwise I’d have nothing to write about. :D










6 comments:
whew. *grin* there is so much going on in that head of yours. i was going to tell you how *stunning* i think the illo is, but that seems kind of s-i-m-p-l-e now. ;) but i do love when you share the story behind the work!
The tension is also created by the triangles that are formed by the bent arms and knees... triangle shapes convey stress and tension, like knives.
sooner or later those art courses come in handy!
Your illos are always the very best!
Thank goodness for your art or we would have nothing to comment about. I used to hate critiques in college, and am alot more accepting of criticism now, but one thing that I get from your work, is a contrast between soft, pure colors and an ambiguity with the actual content. Your work does make you ask questions, but it is also just pleasing to look at. Just my two cents.....delete if you want. And while I am at it, The Thinker is oh such a masterpiece, but I have always thought he looked uncomfortable!
Your beautiful illustration reminded me of a simple little poem I wrote some years ago... I hadn't thought of it in a long while. I hope you won't mind me sharing ;) There is an innocence and vulnerability in your little phoenix... and a sense of wistful sadness... she keeps drawing me back to look again!
PHOENIX
Born again
when the flames
have died.
Mother love
gave herself to the fire
so her child could live.
Egg in the ashes
cracks open.
New birth.
Shining golden.
Mythical creature
flies to the sun.
Dreaming of
perfect communion
with her equal.
Aspiration.
Inspiration.
Admiration.
Imagination.
Falling to earth
with singed wings,
she surrenders.
Her burning need
consumes her.
She is gone.
Egg in the ashes
cracks open.
New birth.
Mother love
gave herself to the fire
so her child could live.
Born again
when the flames
have died.
Wow, Thanks Schelle. That's awesome.
The thinker has always made me sad. He just looks so dejected to me. I always want to go up and give him a pat on the shoulder. Sorry I haven't been around much lately, the past week was not good for me but feeling better now.
Post a Comment