flossy-p home

Friday, January 05, 2007

plume of smoke

Ariel said...
… *i dont understand it.. but really nice painting :)


I had to have a bit of a chuckle at a couple of the comments from my illustration this week. Not because of what they said, more a chuckle of discomfort about what they must have thought.

Honestly Ariel, I’m not sure I understand it either. I go into a drawing with one idea, and I come to at the other end with a painting in my hand, scratching my head, thinking “where the hell did this come from?”

louie said...
… the drawing tells a really great story. …


eeeek, I’d hate to think what story it tells (a half-naked Vegas showgirl alone in a field), in this case I seriously doubt it’s the one I set out with. I swear I'm honestly not that perverse. I HATED Eyes Wide Shut!

Ellis Nadler said...
Very nice idea...Can't wait for the movie of this


Scene 1: [Starts with macro close up of a feather, pristine sky blue colour, twitching slightly as it is caught by a playful breeze.
Camera pans out to reveal more feathers, a whole pile of them.
Shot continues to pan out slowly, further revealing the feathers are attached to a costume worn by a young woman. The woman is waking up from a deep sleep, she is pretty but dishabilled by sleep, make-up worn off and sleep puffed face. She is unharmed, but curiously she is topless, and is wearing a vivid and delicate facemask of a bird beak; a modern interpretation of those worn during the Venice Carnivale in times gone by.

Camera continuing to pan out reveals she is in the middle of a field, miles from anywhere. Other than a few small unremarkable hills on the horizon there are no distinguishable landmarks. A plume of smoke (from a fire that has almost gone out) reaches into the sky from behind one of the hills.

The temperature in the air and the light in the sky give no clues; is it early morning, or late evening? As the woman raises herself off the ground you realise she has no idea where she is or how she got there. She is not frightened, the landscape shows kindness and forgiving, and the story begins somewhere near the end.]


Nope, I can safely assure you this is not the idea I had in my head when I started the illustration this week.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

These may not have been the ideas in your head, but what was your idea? And this obviously sparked new ideas, didn't it? Imagination and putting it on paper and getting feedback is all what it is about. and ............. still love your colors!

Anonymous said...

Ha ha! I love your responses to all these comments. I have to admit that the word Pheonix stumped me completely - but I do love what you came up with. I think it looks like a stage set - maybe a ballet or opera. It's so different and as usual I also love your colour choices. Really beautiful.

Rayne said...

I thought the picture was truly beautiful but what came to my mind wasn't even close to your explanations so now I am thinking perhaps I am a moron. I like how she is sitting, how her body is bent and you can't really tell if she is levering herself up or going to lay back down.
Loved the movie idea, by the way.
I was thinking what if she was travelling and she ran into others that night and they told her it was a celebration and after a few cups of wine they convinced her to don the costume and join the dance but in the morning they are all gone, the fire is dying down, her travelling companions have disappeared and her mask has become one with her face, blending more each moment until it is her face. What if she is the next phoenix?

Diane Duda said...

who cares what it means...as long as it's pretty.

islandarts said...

Now that you've started your screen play... I want to hear more!!

Anonymous said...

Hi Rebecca, Yes i completely agree that getting feedback and learning what others see in your work IS what it's all about - it's wonderful. And you're right, those comments gave me a new way to think and gave me an excuse to post. I guess my original idea came more from a feeling, that beginning of a new year feeling. A blank canvas ahead, wanting to work out some worthy goals, cast off the old stuff from last year and see a small slice of future with clear eyes. A moment of introspection, analysis and clarity for a new beginning.

Thank you Mighty Sally!

Rayne, I love your take on it. I was thinking that the music over the opening scene I wrote could completely change what kind of movie it turned out to be. The song could have identified if the next scene was a car full of laughing teenagers turning up after a frat-house comedy initiation prank, OR a Paris Texas style drawn-out arthouse flick, OR Wings of Desire foreign wonder, OR Momento style suspense mystery, etc... Curious hey?

Diana, I'm glad you think so :D

Island Arts, I'll send you a ticket to the red carpet premier screening ;)