I’m polite. I like to think I’m considerate. And I follow the mantra that if someone wrongs me, karma will do the dealing and it’s my place to be understanding not judgemental.
However… (and be warned, this is going to be one hell of a rant, so tune out now if you’re not in the mood)
Australia is undergoing the longest drought in history. I read the other day that Sydney will be the first global city to face a water crisis if the drought doesn’t break, we have approx. 600 days of water supply left. We’re on water restrictions, have been for years, and the government is desperately scrambling to engineer and build renewable water supplies. We use grey water to keep our garden alive and to wash our car, and lots of other little things to contribute. As are many many others.
So when I just passed a man hosing the concrete footpath I had to say something. I’m so so freakin’ sick of that generation (or people who share that mindset) that they are more entitled than anyone else. Those who don’t have any environmental responsibility or consciousness. The ones who think all this talk of greenhouse gasses, climate change, etc is some new fandangle speak that the young folk are into.
What is it with them?!!! People who have become so used to their own modern conveniences, the thought of being slightly uncomfortable or disordered offends them. Despite in many cases having survived the depression, many wars, being witness to the people power of the 60’s, the very real tragedy of Chernobyl; their sense of social and global obligation has vanished.
I don’t care, buy all the houses, spend your children’s inheritance… good on you, it’s your business, I think it’s fine, I really don’t care. But be responsible, give a damn about more than your own yard, make an effort.
I’m no hippy, I don’t chain myself to trees, don’t join protests, don’t live in a tent, am not carbon neutral. I understand that I too contribute to the hurting of the Earth, but I try to do what I can, alter my life in small ways to help, to contribute to the good. Listen. Learn. Alter.
Why are so many of “them” the same? An ex-client responsible for a so called “green product” who told us that “consumers don’t recycle anyway” and after I said I do, in the same breath she replied “yeah well there’s too much stuff being recycled, the recycle plants can’t keep up, they just through it all away anyway”. Contradiction!
My parents, for example, move into a new house and the first thing they do is cut down all the trees and pull out all the bushes, because it looks untidy, then they lay turf and can’t keep it from being sunburnt. My Uncle is boasting about wanting to poison a neighbours tree, (which not to mention being highly illegal is horrible), all because it drops a few small leaves in his yard and one day there may be root damage. They’re leaves right, not cluster bombs.
Toowoomba a town in Queensland Australia is about to run out of water. The city held a vote last year to start a water recycling plant (I know this sounds gross, but it’s advanced technology, perfectly safe, and is used in London. Yes, London’s water supply is predominantly recycled, has been for decades. I’ve drunk water in London and didn’t notice anything different at all. It’s an excellent solution). The town voted No. Why? One of the lobbyists claimed that the hormones women pee out would be so strong, couldn’t be filtered out, and would make men grow boobs! How’s that for creative propaganda? My guess is this old codger already has them anyway!
And I’m not even going to begin talking about our politicians…
So when I came upon the man hosing the concrete the conversation went thusly:
Me: “Gee, you’re brave”
Him: “Why’s that?”
Me: “Well, doing that under water restrictions” (pointing towards the flow of water down the footpath and gutter, implying the hefty fines for water miss-use)
Him: “Well, when there’s a mess, it’s got to be cleaned”
Me: “Have you heard of a broom?”
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)










8 comments:
damn straight! what a jerk! good on you for saying something!!
I'm with you Flossy- ALL the way! People are selfish these days.
You're awesome! I couldn't have said it better myself. I'm glad you said something to that idiot. If only people could look at the BIG picture and not just live in a litte box. Sad. We do what we can and we are conscious of it- that's a hell of a lot more than most!
We have family in Australia and have heard a lot about the water shortage. I really hope that Australia is able to find a water solution soon. The man-boob thing, that's so hilariously rediculous!
god, if only it was only the oldies though and you could at least rely on our own generation - i work at an ad agency where the majority of staff 25 to 40 year olds) drive huge, petrol guzzling land cruisers. my creative director just bought a shiny new V8, after he moved to a far south eastern suburb which would mean almost an hour drive each way. come on, people, we live in melbourne. i thought the amount of SUVs in canada was ridiculous but at least you could justify it with 6 months of 4 wheel drive power needed to get through the snowy streets - here it's just pure vanity and a grab for some imagined status. makes me sick.
wow, sorry. guess i was up for a rant as well!
Leslie, even the amount of SUV's in Canada is rediculous. I grew up on the canadian priairies with the wicked winters and I (nor my parents) EVER owned an SUV. It's just a stupid status symbol "Look how much money I have, not only can I afford this rediculous truck, but I can also afford the GAS, aren't I special??"
ummmmm, no. No your not.
LOL had to add my rant to yours :0)
'Toowoomba a town in Queensland Australia is about to run out of water'
Incorrect - you've fallen for Di Thorley's rhetoric
"finishing 5 things" won't let me comment, just wanted to day I'm full of admiration for you doing yr12 on your own - amazing - and your attitude to your family is pretty incredible too, glad you made peace with them.
And will do meme some time in next week - thanks for the tag.
People are ignorant goons, aren't they? Good on you for telling that man off. People arguing against recycled water are just dumbos - all the water on earth is recycled in a basic fact of science called 'the water cycle' and molecules in what we drink have no doubt been in someone's wee (or whatever it is everyone's afraid of) at some point!
Post a Comment